Dawg Rally helps boost school spirit

Mississippi State University Athletic Director Scott Stricklin, the Famous Maroon Band and 100 free T-shirts will be featured at the Dawg Rally Friday in the Junction. The pep rally will be Friday’s event as part of the on-going True Maroon week celebrations on campus.
Nikki Robinson, co-director of the Student Association history and traditions committee, said the SA planned the event, but SA contacted the Athletic Department to support the Dawg Rally. 
“We will have Scott Stricklin speak. The cheerleaders, the pom squad and the band will also be present,” Robinson said.
The Dawg Rally is scheduled to begin at 4:15 p.m. with a few surprises planned at the end. 
“Beginning Thursday, many cowbells will be hidden all throughout the campus until Friday, and we ask people to find them and bring it to the Dawg Rally to receive prizes,” Robinson said. 
Clinton Alexander, junior communication major and band member, said playing at the Dawg Rally is a memorable experience.

“It’s great to see everyone so spirited and excited for the game. I think it adds a little to the energy we see on game day,” he said.
Toya Windom, MSU alumna and business manager at the Office of Admissions and Scholarships, said the SA wants to increase school spirit on campus this week.
“I think all of this stuff will be really good to get everyone involved and pumped up on everything going on campus. This could get the momentum back up even though the football team has not been winning games lately,” Windom said. 
Michael Hogan, SA president, said the festivities are a good way for MSU stutdents  to stay motivated and be excited for the game.
“We did the ‘we believe’ campaign last year, and we didn’t win that game. We still believed in our team win or lose, but this year we are focusing on believing that we are True Maroon,” Hogan said. “Bob Carskadon is the emcee for the Dawg Rally, and we should have a few surprises at the end.” 
For more information on the Dawg Rally and other True Maroon events, log on to sa.msstate.edu.