BULLY XX: Canine mascot energizes fans

Bully+XX
Emma Katherine Hutto
Bully XX

Since the early 1900s, Mississippi State University athletes have earned the the nickname “Bulldogs” through their style of play. 
Since then, MSU students and fans have accepted Bully, the American Kennel Club registered English Bulldog, as their mascot.
Nick Griffin, junior kinesiology major and MSU football player, said the team still strives to hold up to its title of the Bulldogs in its style of play. 
“We love to see Bully at every game. He is the face of the program,” Griffin said. 
The first bulldog was selected in 1935 by coach Ralph Sasse. The bulldog, named Ptolemy, was a gift from the Edgar Webster family and joined the Bulldogs as the official live mascot and received the title Bully I.  
In 1939, Bully I was killed by a campus bus. After days of mourning and a half-mile funeral procession, he was laid to rest under the bench at the 50-yard line. 
Today, Bully XX, also known as “Champ,” serves as the live mascot. Under the care of Lisa Pritchard, animal health technician at the College of Veterinary Medicine, Bully is present at  most sporting events and various university events.
Pritchard has been the caregiver for Bully since 1973 when Bully XVI, “Replica of Corker,” was the face of MSU. She said Bully makes appearances at football games, home basketball games, softball games, baseball game and is available for many MSU-related events. 
“We enjoy meeting people, having fun and having the opportunity to go to all the SEC football stadiums and some other stadiums,” Pritchard said. 
Jimmy Abraham, former executive director of the MSU Alumni Association, has been a Bulldog since he started at MSU in 1977. He said not much has changed since then except the size of the crowds who come to see the beloved mascot. 
“Bully energizes the crowd just by being on the field or court. Bully has officially represented our loyal fan base since 1935, and he is one of our most prized traditions at our university,” Abraham said. “Children and adults of all ages flock around him to take a picture with him that they display or put on social media, letting everyone know they are proud MSU Bulldogs.”