Proposed board meeting cellphone ban proves problematic

Tuesday night the Starkville Board of Aldermen will consider banning cell phones at future meetings. The proposal cites distraction and disruption as the reasons for this ban. 
The original proposal included in Friday’s board meeting materials stated the ban could include cell phones, electronic tablets and laptops, though members of the press and mainstream media would be allowed to use these devices during the meetings. It went on to state the exemption did not apply to Internet bloggers or anyone engaged in purely social media such as live tweeting.
The proposal was modified late Monday afternoon to ban only cell phones and included Mississippi State University student journalists in the exemption, and it removed the restriction on social media use.  
Prior to the modification to the proposed ban, Ward 4 Alderman Jason Walker said he will not be able to give good answers on why the resolution was proposed and which alderman proposed it, but he said in his brief time serving the Board of Aldermen, he has not been distracted by the use of cell phones during the meetings. 
“I believe the resolution to be unnecessary and that if passed could limit citizens’ ability to exercise their right to free speech,” Walker said, referring to the original proposal. “Furthermore, I believe this proposal very likely would not be legal per previous attorney generals’ opinions in similar instances,” Walker said.
Richard Corey, former Ward 4 Alderman, said the original ban proposal was designed to limit social media use, such as live tweeting.
“I believe it is an attempt to stifle feedback about the board meetings and adversely affects the ability of citizens to remain informed about the activities of our current Board of Aldermen,” Corey said, while referring to the original proposal. 
Lynn Spruill, owner of Spruill Properties and former city administrator, said there has been no history of disruption during the board meetings. Spruill said the mayor has never had to call anyone out on disruptive use of electronics.
Zack Plair, editor at Starkville Daily News who covered this story for his newspaper, said with this board particularly, some members are willing to talk, regardless of the issue, while others have preferred to limit their comments on some issues to what they say at the boardroom table. 
“If you read the resolution, you’ll see where it would allow ‘mainstream media’ to use electronic devices if that use is directly related to performing our jobs,” Plair said. “Even if the resolution passed, it would be an easy argument that using social media platforms like Twitter related directly to our reporting meetings, especially as the Board of Aldermen is in no position to formally define for us what is or isn’t a journalist’s job.” 
If this resolution is passed, the ban on cell phones will be effective Dec. 3.