Q&A with Kyle Heck, sports editor at The Daily Gamecock, University of South Carolina’s student newspaper

Q: Quarterback Connor Shaw missed three quarters of Saturday’s game against Missouri and led a season-defining fourth-quarter comeback. Can you describe Shaw’s leadership to the team and Spurrier’s confidence with him under center?
    A: Shaw means everything to this team. Dylan Thompson is a good backup, but Shaw brings a toughness aspect that most quarterbacks don’t have. Despite having an injured shoulder and knee throughout the season, he’ll do anything it takes to get a first down, even if it means going in headfirst with his injured shoulder — which has happened multiple times this season. Spurrier loves the fact that Shaw doesn’t turn the ball over, having thrown just one interception on the year, and his performance Saturday only reinforces Spurrier’s confidence in Shaw.
    Q: A lot of scrutiny surrounded Jadeveon Clowney’s performance at the beginning of the year. With his increased production, do you think he has silenced most of his critics?
    A: Yeah, I haven’t heard a lot of criticism of Clowney since he dominated Antonio Richardson, Tennessee’s left tackle and future NFL starter, after having struggled against him last year. Despite contrary belief, Clowney has played at full speed this season. It’s hard to match the expectations everyone had for him going into the season, and if you throw in the fact that teams’ gameplans revolve around him, that makes it even tougher to get your stats. The sacks haven’t come yet, but Clowney does have seven quarterback hurries on the year through seven games played, meaning he has just missed some sacks and is generating pressure.
    Q: After what looked to be a brutal hit to running back Mike Davis in last week’s win, he was able to walk off the field under his own power. What precautionary measures will the coaching staff take with him this week?
    A: Davis “almost sprained his foot” according to Spurrier. While we are still trying to figure out what that means, we do know that he will miss most of practice this week as a precautionary measure. At this point, I would be deeply surprised if Davis doesn’t suit up on Saturday. He denied even having an injury after the game at Missouri.
    Q: The Gamecocks kept their SEC East title hopes alive with the win over Missouri. With conference games against MSU and Florida left on the schedule, what are the chances USC can represent the East in Atlanta come December?
    A: South Carolina knew if it could get past Missouri, it was in really good shape to represent the east in December. South Carolina’s final four games are all at home, and Missouri still has to play Texas A&M and Ole Miss. The Gamecocks only need the Tigers to lose one of those games, as they hold the tiebreaker. As for two-loss Florida and Georgia, they play each other this weekend, so one of those teams will come out with three losses. If injury-depleted Georgia beats Florida, they still have to go to Auburn and win. If Florida wins, USC can take care of business against the Gators when they visit Columbia in November. The prospects look bright for the Gamecocks, but it is by no means a guaranteed thing. They have to win their final two conference games to even have a chance.
    Q: Other than the well-known names of Shaw, Davis and Clowney, who are some other key threats MSU fans should take note of Saturday?
    A: Wide receivers Bruce Ellington and Damiere Byrd have really stepped up for South Carolina this season. Ellington is coming off a career-day against Mizzou where he caught 10 passes for 136 yards and two touchdowns. Byrd, one of the fastest players in the country, has emerged as the deep-play threat for the Gamecocks. He had an impressive stretch this season where he caught at least a 45-yard touchdown in three straight games and is averaging 20 yards per catch this season. On the defensive side, tackle Kelcy Quarles has quietly benefited from the added attention on Clowney. The 6’4, 298-pound junior is second in the SEC with seven sacks and 10 tackles for loss. He had a breakout game against Mizzou, in which he also wasn’t supposed to play, notching six tackles, three for loss and two sacks.
    Q: Alright, prediction time. Who will come out on top?
    A: South Carolina 35, Mississippi State 13.
    I just think that finally returning home after three weeks on the road combined with the momentum gained from the overtime win last week will be too much for the Bulldogs. South Carolina is going for its 15th straight win at Williams-Brice, and they know they need to win this game to stay in the hunt for its first division title since 2010.