Blitz to dazzle audience with first show of year

Blitz MSU Show Choir began six years ago and today stands before the Mississippi State University community ready to show off its talents. Blitz is an organization that fully engages and entices the audience through both dancing and singing. 
Its first performance of the year will be on Sunday at Rick’s Cafe. This year’s theme is “What’s in A Name?” Members of the show choir will perform various songs that may differ at first, but the common thread between each is that every song has a name in the title.
The first showing will be at 6:30 p.m. and another follows at 9 p.m. Blitz has worked on this performance since April, and the group finally sees it falling into place.
 Camille Flemming, current president of Blitz, shared the process behind the selection of the theme. 
“Everyone sends in ideas and includes possible songs to go along with that idea. Then the exec board narrows down the choices, and the group votes on the remaining options,” Flemming said. 
The concert will showcase songs from “Jesse’s Girl” to “Valerie” to “Stephen” and many more. 
Flemming said the most rewarding aspect of their organization is that it is completely student driven, which makes it that much more satisfying in the long run.
Blitz’s dedication can be seen in the commitments to its practices. The show choir practices every Tuesday and Thursday from 8:30 to 11 p.m. In addition to that, as the date of the upcoming concert continued to creep closer, Blitz hosted mandatory five-hour practices on Saturdays. 
Jhona Gibson, a two-and-a half-year Blitz veteran, said being a Blitz member is hard but has some greatest benefits. 
“The hardest thing about Blitz is trying to fully figure out the music, even when you can’t read music,” Gibson said. “But the greatest thing is that Blitz is a stress reliever. It’s a release from school and classes, and I just get to enjoy myself.”  
Gibson also said she attributes the group’s ability to produce such an impressive amount of work in so little time to the fact that they mesh so well together.
“We are a very diverse group. We argue. We get through it. We’re like a real family,” Gibson said. 
This first performance the audience can expect is a cabaret. Cabarets are concerts that have multiple songs under a central theme. The concert in the spring will be longer and more in-depth. In addition to singing and dancing, there will also be acting and a story the audience can follow. 
James Marshall, a new addition to the Blitz family, said he is ecstatic his hard work is finally about to pay off.
 “I am most excited about the small group numbers,and especially those solos,” he said. 
Marshall said he plans to dazzle listeners with his solo rendition of “Valerie” by Amy Winehouse.  Flemming, Gibson and Marshall agree the best advice to remember is just smile.