Cunningham keeps faith on court

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me,” and “With God all things are possible,” are two Bible scriptures Tyson Cunningham rests on when it comes to basketball.
Cunningham started his college journey on a band scholarship as a member of Mississippi State University’s Famous Maroon Band. Although he was not recruited to play basketball for State, he said his heart led him to do whatever it took to be a part of the team.
He worked out at the Sanderson Center, lifted weights, played pick-up basketball and constantly tried to contact former head coach, Rick Stansbury. As a freshman, Cunningham was even a member of the Lady Bulldog scout team.
Once Cunningham finally reached Stansbury, the coach told him he would have to wait because there were not any open positions. However, the optimistic Cunningham was not discouraged. He said he believed he would make the team and God would open that door for him.
“I had a dream that I had actually made the team, and I was running down the court and gave Coach Stansbury a high-five,” Cunningham said.
Cunningham continued to work hard, and his dream would soon become a reality when Stansbury gave him the opportunity to practice with the team during the summer of 2011 as the Bulldogs prepared for a tournament in Europe.
After practicing with the team for two weeks, Cunningham was officially a Bulldog.
“Coach told me I could hang up my band shoes because I had made the team. I was like ‘Wow!'” Cunningham said. “After that day, I was excited and grateful that God opened the door for me.”
Although Cunningham started as a walk-on, he was granted a scholarship during the spring semester of his sophomore year. A few months later, Stansbury resigned and Rick Ray became the head coach. Again, Cunningham had to start from scratch because he lost his scholarship due to a full roster.
 Cunningham kept his faith and worked harder on the court and in the classroom. Once again, he was granted a full scholarship during the spring of 2013.
“I felt I worked pretty hard to gain the first scholarship and then to lose it, I felt I had to work much harder. Once I gained it again, I was so grateful to get it back,” Cunningham said.
Ray said Cunningham has garnered the respect of his teammates because there is no difference between a walk-on and a scholarship player as far as Ray wants the team to go about its business and play.
“Tyson is a person you look forward to coaching because he comes in, he’s always on time, he goes about his business the right way and he retains information well,” Ray said. “If anybody wants to know who to hire on our team, it’s Tyson. No matter the job or field, he is a guy who is going to be successful in life.”
Cunningham’s passion and drive has not only impacted his head coach, but his teammates, as well. Freshman Gavin Ware said Cunningham presents himself as a man of God and he provides his teammates with confidence when they are down.
“A lot of times I look to him and he tells me to continue to push. That gives the team and I the confidence we need to develop chemistry to get through tough times,” Ware said. “He’s always in the practice facility working on his game and doing the little things when no one else is watching. He’s always giving back to the team, and I applaud him for that.”
Ware also said Cunningham serves as a big brother influence for the players, providing them with a stable foundation and leading them in prayer.
Cunningham said his role on the team is being the high-energy guy, a vocal leader and bringing life to his surrounding environment.
“It’s my character to bring it as hard as I can, have high energy, sacrifice my body and do whatever I need to do for the team to be successful. That’s what I’m about and that’s how I approach things,” Cunningham said. “God didn’t place me on the team to just play ball but to be a light, as well. I feel like my teammates respect me and my approach of how I try to show the love of God to them.”
Not only is Cunningham’s faith evident on the court, but it is seen off the court as well. He has been a husband for almost six months after exchanging vows on Sept. 29, 2012. Cunningham said balancing being a student-athlete and a husband has not been a problem.
“I have a very supportive wife. We both have busy schedules but we spend time together during the evenings. We have an understanding, and we appreciate the time we do have together,” Cunningham said.
Bill Buckley, MSU Fellowship of Christian Athletes director, said Cunningham loves people, is easy to work with and has a great attitude.
“It’s obvious he loves the Lord. He is mature beyond his years and he has a great sense of respect and honoring people,” Buckley said. “He is focused and he has vision for his life. I love that about him.”