The Talented One Hundred showcases talent, seeks to inspire student achievement

The Men of Excellence organization at Mississippi State University will be hosting its second annual showcase “The Talented One Hundred” tonight at 7 p.m. in Dorman auditorium.
The concept of tonight’s event is derived from the ideas and morals of W.E.B. DuBois’s essay entitled The Talented Tenth
Jonathan Peterson, junior economics major and vice president of Men of Excellence, said this event is to help inspire people to embrace themselves.
“The purpose of ‘The Talented One Hundred’ is to inspire achievement and improve self-esteem chiefly among African-Americans but also other minorities and all other students on campus,” Peterson said.
Additionally, the event will showcase exceptional talent from the student body. 
There will be several performing acts including Black Voices, Terpsichore, Starlight Dancers, spoken word and some individual acts.
Assata Averett, junior educational psychology major, will perform a solo act and said she is excited to be a part of the event.
“I’m looking forward to being surrounded by other talented people and contributing to the event,” Averett said.
The event features a raffle of “Beats by Dre.”
Each raffle ticket costs $2.
Kameron Deverteuil, junior accounting major, said he hopes people take home with them the knowledge of knowing they can achieve something great. 
“The most important thing is for them to know that just because we’re not the majority doesn’t mean we don’t have excellence (success),” he said.  “We’re not born great; it’s the acts that we carry out that make us great.”
General admission to the event is free.