Super Bulldog Weekend boosts Cotton District business revenue

Super Bulldog Weekend not only brings Mississippi State University fans and alumni to Starkville, but the event also brings money to the city.
This year’s Super Bulldog Weekend takes place this weekend and will include the Maroon and White spring football game and a three-game baseball series against Auburn University as well as the Cotton District Arts Festival and an increase in Starkville business revenue.
Jennifer Gregory, CEO of the Greater Starkville Development Partnership, said Super Bulldog Weekend and the Cotton District Arts Festival noticeably help Starkville’s efforts in increasing sales tax collection and tourism spending in Oktibbeha County.
“Super Bulldog Weekend and the Cotton District Arts Festival bring in a comparable amount of visitors and tourists as a home football game weekend,” Gregory said. “In terms of the actual economic impact, a weekend such as this typically generates over $10 million in expenditures by visitors, which translates to over $500,000 taxes collected combined.”
Gregory said a Starkville tax also helps enhance the influx of Super Bulldog Weekend revenue. The city places a two percent tax on food, beverages and hotels in the city limits.
“This money is reinvested directly back into the Starkville community for the purpose of tourism, recruitment and the enhancement of the quality of life in Starkville,” Gregory said.
Businesses feel the effects of the increased number of people in Starkville during Super Bulldog Weekend.
Letty Stricklin, Libby Story Starkville store manager, said the store’s Friday sales almost quadruple, and Saturday sales are at least double the revenue of a regular weekend.
“There are a lot more families and visitors than normal,” Stricklin said. “There’s lots of guys sitting on our couches that weekend.”
Other businesses in Starkville see an increase in sales and store activity as well.
Shane Reed, founder and owner of Strange Brew Coffeehouse, said the event weekend is enjoyable for MSU students and Starkville residents as well as the visiting alumni and fans. 
“It’s the perfect time for Starkville to shine and show everyone how amazing this place is.  Obviously it’s great for business as well,” Reed said.
Businesses benefit from Super Bulldog Weekend. From offering specials to participating in The Cotton District Arts Festival, businesses can boost their income and advertise to many different audiences.
The Cotton District Arts Festival will take place Saturday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and includes the “Taste of Starkville” competition. Different area restaurants serve their food to visitors and increase the visibility of their establishment.
“We are proud to be part of the Cotton District Arts Festival’s Taste of Starkville. We’ll have our classic coffees and pastries there for sure.  We also have a few things up our sleeves this year,” Reed said.
Restaurants are not the only businesses that benefit from Super Bulldog Weekend activities.
Super Bulldog Weekend annually draws in a vast number of visitors to the Starkville area. Gregory said with the numerous on and off campus activities, the event weekend boosts the local economy and the city of Starkville.
“Local businesses are the heart of our economy, so we always encourage our visitors and Starkville residents and students to shop locally and to visit our locally owned businesses,” Gregory said. “That not only stimulates our economy, but it supports our local business owners and encourages a community of entrepreneurship and investment.”