Maroon outlasts White, takes annual spring scrimmage

Despite an early first quarter deficit, the Maroon team surged in the second half to defeat the White team 38-28 in Mississippi State University’s annual spring game.
Quarterback Tyler Russell led team White to an early 14-3 lead. Russell connected with tight end Brandon Hill on back-to-back touchdown passes to give the White team some early momentum. Russell finished the game 13-of-24 with 179 yards and two touchdowns. Russell and most of the starters only played in the first half of the scrimmage.
For team Maroon, Brandon Holloway led the team in rushing with 128 yards, and newcomer Jeremy Chappellle finished the game with 114 yards receiving. Holloway ran for 116 yards in the second half, including a 13-yard touchdown run to put the Maroon team in control, 31-21.
Former Bulldog and current San Francisco 49ers running back Anthony Dixon made a special appearance for team White. Dixon snuck into a White jersey and scurried onto the 10-yard line, passed the Maroon defense and scored on a 65-yard touchdown pass to bring the team within a score in the fourth quarter. Holloway added an 8-yard touchdown run with minutes remaining to set the 38-28 final.
MSU coach Dan Mullen said the entire team has been working hard this spring.
“We’ve had a really good spring and it was great to end it with this great crowd here. Good for the Maroon Team to get the win,” he said.
The game drew an attendance of 21,000 Maroon and White faithful. Capacity was limited due to ongoing stadium expansion and renovations at Davis Wade Stadium.
MSU will kickoff the regular season Aug. 31 against Oklahoma State in Houston, Texas as part of the 2013 Texas Kickoff Classic.