Making Weddings Easy on the Wallet: A how-to guide

If you’re looking to get married in today’s economy, you might be wondering how you can have a beautiful wedding on a tight budget. If eloping isn’t an appealing option, here are some helpful hints to keep your big day both inexpensive and fabulous.
    A very important part of your day is the friends and family you choose as your wedding party. When aiming to save, the smaller the better! Keep in mind that you’ll be responsible for purchasing bouquets and gifts for all of your wedding party, so opt for including the people most important to you. A personal “thank you” gift will be the most appreciated, so don’t be afraid to be crafty and do it yourself. Limit yourself to something smaller than say, 15 bridesmaids.
When choosing your venue, you want a setting that will add to the occasion, not detract from it. Jordan Wheeler, senior communicationsw major who also coordinates weddings, offers a few options. As a member of a church you can often get a discount for using your church’s facility. You will encounter some type of service charge, but there may be a larger service fee if you are not a member.  A backyard wedding is perfect for an intimate feel for a smaller wedding.
Wheeler says many young brides are using hay bales covered in fabric to seat their guests and save on renting chairs or benches. Future bride Molly Riley suggests having your wedding and reception in the same location. This is helpful to your guests because they don’t have to travel from one location to another. Lastly, the prettier the atmosphere, the less you’ll be responsible for decorating. So, if your venue already has a lot of aesthetic appeal, you can save on décor.
Wheeler said the most expensive part of a wedding can come when purchasing food for the reception. Jordan Davis, another soon-to-be bride, suggests buffet-style catering with simple hors d’oeuvres or more meal-appropriate food, depending on the time of your wedding. The idea that an elaborate meal must be served at a wedding is a relatively recent trend according to Riley’s advice from older family members; you don’t have to serve a lot of food. Sticking to a simple snack food, beverage and light mint is perfectly fine when presented well. Since cake is a huge factor for most when they think of a wedding, many brides don’t want to forgo this tradition. If you know someone who can bake, asking them to make the cake can save hundreds of dollars.
This day is about you and your fiancé, not how big of a concert you can host. Don’t worry about entertaining people with several different singers; keep it simple when booking your band. If live music is out of your budget, nearly everyone has an iPod these days. You can make a playlist of your favorite songs and hook it up to a speaker. This is easy and cost effective for everyone.
Of course we can’t forget one of the most important elements to a bride: the dress. In a personal blog, “The 500 Dollar Wedding,” offers several tips for picking the perfect gown. First, check your mother’s closet. Many women are recycling their mothers’ dresses with their own tailored spin. This is cost efficient and memorable. It might be surprising to some, but JC Penney sells wedding dresses, and they can be pretty and within your budget. Don’t be afraid to go looking for that dress in an unexpected place. A high-quality consignment store may carry vintage dresses that will be reasonably priced and provide an elegant appeal to your look. If you think you’re up for a new craft, you can even take something old and remake it to fit your taste. If you’re veering away from a traditional wedding dress, your options become even greater and finding something to fit your style may be easier and cheaper.