Denim Day returns, increases sexual assault awareness

Mississippi  State University’s Department of Health Education and Wellness will host Denim Day this Wednesday as part of the annual Sexual Assault Awareness Month.
Denim Day is a sexual violence prevention and education campaign that educates people about sexual assault and helps them become informed about existing problems.
During the event, participants are asked to donate a pair of jeans to help raise awareness.  The first 150 people who donate a pair of jeans will receive a free T-shirt.
Kayla Roden, graduate assistant for the Department of Health Education and Wellness, said people should attend Denim Day to gain insight on sexual assault.
“People should come support this event because it gives answers on sexual assault and gives people a chance to understand and relate to a story about sexual assault,” Roden said.
Bowen Lancaster, graduate assistant for the Department of Health Education and Wellness, said one way to cut down and prevent sexual violence is to inform people about it.
“One of the biggest things is knowing about it,” Lancaster said.  “Information is the key.  By knowing about sexual violence, you better yourself and help reduce the amount of sexual assaults.”
Lancaster also added he expects Denim Day to be a big success for MSU.
“We hope to have a good turnout. We’re hoping for this to be one of our biggest events of the year,” Lancaster said.  “The more the merrier.  The more people that come out, the more people we can educate about sexual violence.”
The event will start at 10 a.m and last until 2 p.m and will take place in front of the State Fountain Bakery.
Leah Pylate, assistant director of Health Education and Wellness and Assault, said the one message she wants people to take away from the event is that everyone needs to become aware of sexual violence and know the behavior not acceptable.
“Everyone needs to know that each person can make a difference in educating one another about sexual violence, and collectively we can all unite together to make a difference,” Plyate said.