Pitching gives Bulldogs advantage in series win

After a tough last couple of weekends for the Bulldogs, Mississippi State pulled together and secured its first SEC series win of the season, defeating the Florida Gators two out of three games. The series win would not have been possible if not for quality outings from MSU starting pitching.
In the Friday night matchup, left-handed pitcher Luis Pollorena captured his fifth win of the season. He threw six innings while only giving up two earned runs as he continues to impress in his new role as the Friday night starter for MSU.
Right fielder Hunter Renfroe led the way for the Bulldog offense, going 2-4 including his team-leading 10th home run of the year.
The story of the weekend was the performance Saturday by right-handed pitcher Kendall Graveman. The Alexander City, Ala., native threw his second consecutive complete game while shutting out the Gators and only giving up five hits in the 2-0 Bulldog victory.  Coach John Cohen said he is extremely happy with how his veteran pitcher has performed the last couple games.
“I am just so proud of Kendall. Real leaders aren’t people who talk all the time. They are people who do it, and Kendall has done it in his last two weekends,” Cohen said. “I can’t remember two starts like that in a long time, by anybody that has played for me.”
Graveman said he knew he and his teammates could protect their home field and come out with the series win.
“That was our whole goal coming in here this weekend was to get a series win,” Graveman said. “We knew that we had enough confidence and we were a good enough team to win a series. We knew just one play here or there, if we can eliminate those we would get a series win this weekend.”
The Bulldogs went for the series sweep Sunday but came up short, losing 8-3. The Gators scored all eight of their runs in the fifth inning, starting with a bases-clearing triple for Connor Mitchell.
Perhaps the most frightening part the inning was Bulldog sophomore LHP Jacob Lindgren coming up limping after fielding a bunt. Lindren had to leave the game but Cohen said he believes it is just a twisted ankle. His absence left the door open to eight runs for the Gators from which the Bulldogs could not recover.
MSU is now 26-9 (5-7 SEC) and looking forward to a big week ahead as the Dogs face-off against archrival Ole Miss Tuesday at Trustmark Park in the annual Governor’s Cup. Brandon Woodruff will likely start for the Bulldogs as he continues to try and pitch his way back in the Bulldog weekend rotation.
The Bulldogs also have a chance to move to over .500 in SEC play when they play Texas A&M in College Station this weekend. This will be the first time the Bulldogs and the Aggies will face off as conference foes. Cohen said he feels his team has the confidence to make a big run here in the next few weeks.
“We have won three of our last four, and I feel that we are on the verge of doing some special things but for us to do that we have to defend,” Cohen said. “We have to get back to our identity.”