High school teammates earn consecutive SEC Player of the Week honors at MSU

Not only did Mississippi State golfers Chad Ramey and Ally McDonald play on the same high school golf team, but the two were also named SEC Player of the Week in back-to-back weeks this month.
The only girl from Itawamba Agricultural High School wanting to play golf, McDonald had no problem accepting the challenge to play on the boys’ team. One year after Ramey committed to MSU, McDonald joined her fellow Fulton, Miss., native in Starkville.
Ramey said he did not expect to be named SEC Player of the Week but enjoys being able to represent MSU and his home state in the best way he can.
“I feel like it was a great honor to be picked, and I’m going to try to live up to it and do it again. I try not to let it change my mindset, but it definitely gave me a lot more confidence,” Ramey said. “I love this school, and it feels good to represent them in a good way.”
McDonald, who was named to the SEC All-Freshman team following last season, said the whole experience of playing golf at MSU and receiving Player of the Week honor is amazing.
“I’m very blessed to be a part of this program, so when I receive honors or anything of this sort, I really try to keep things in perspective,” McDonald said. “I try to take this opportunity to give credit to the people who have actually gotten me here – my teammates, coaches and, most importantly, God.”
Ramey’s honor came after he won his first individual tournament at MSU by dominating the Tiger Invitational with a three-under-par performance, beating the second place finisher by three strokes. Ramey recorded 13 birdies en route to his first place finish.
The No. 36 Bulldogs won the tournament as a team by seven strokes and defeated five ranked teams in the process.
Ramey said he did not play perfectly but enjoyed earning his first win as a Bulldog.
“I definitely felt like I did some wrong. The course was really tough. I just putted really well is the only thing I did outstanding,” Ramey said. “It was a great feeling. I’ve been close a couple other times, so to finally break through was a great feeling.”
After that win, State picked up its seventh top-five finish of the year with a second place performance at the Seminole Invitational. The Dogs posted a season-best 18-under-par for the tournament.
McDonald’s honors came after she placed fourth at the SunTrust Gator Invitational, which was her third top-five finish in the last four events. As a team, the Lady Bulldogs finished tied for sixth with No. 6 North Carolina and in front of No. 18 Baylor.
A week earlier McDonald finished second in the JMU/Eagle Landing Invitational, leading MSU to a season-best second place finish.
Women’s head coach Ginger Brown-Lemm said McDonald exemplifies the dedication needed in the classroom and on the golf course.
“Ally’s been a really consistent player for two years now. We’re just thrilled to have her commitment, leadership and talent with us at Mississippi State,” Brown-Lemm said.
McDonald said experience has been the key for the team this year. With one junior and three sophomores to help the freshmen, depth has given the Lady Dogs confidence.
“As a whole, we’re making really positive strides. You can never get comfortable where you are, though,” McDonald said. “We’re playing really good right now, and people are gaining confidence. Everyone’s seeing we can compete with really good teams.”
Although Ramey and McDonald do not play on the same team anymore, the results for the two hometown golfers are quite similar. As each team continues to rise in the rankings, the two Mississippians will be there to lead the way.
Ramey said he has received some support from his hometown, and although he has not seen McDonald golf in college as much as he did in high school, he thinks she has improved a lot since high school.
“I feel like every aspect of her game is getting better. The mental part, too – she’s getting around the course better as a whole,” Ramey said. “I’ve had a good many people congratulate me. They’re all really proud of us, and they keep rooting us on.”
The women’s team finishes up the Briar’s Creek Invitational in John’s Island, S.C., Tuesday before taking part in the M&F Bank Rebel Intercollegiate in Oxford next weekend.
The men’s team will participate in the BancorpSouth Reunion Intercollegiate in Madison next weekend and will then host its first ever tournament, the Old Waverly Collegiate Championship, April 8 to 9 in West Point.