MSU introduces Three-Year Degree Program, begins fall 2013

Beginning this fall, Mississippi State will give students the option to graduate in a shorter than traditional time period with the Three-Year Degree program.
The Three-Year Degree program gives students a semester-by-semester curriculum to follow which will help with early graduation.
Depending on students’ circumstances, the program will include six fall/spring semesters and two summer semesters.
Jerry Gilbert, provost and executive president, said he is excited about the implementation of the Three-Year Degree program.
“The program indicates that we are thinking about serving our students and giving them options for completing their degree,” Gilbert said.
Gilbert said there is not a “formal” admittance into the program. Students whose degrees offer a three-year curriculum will be able to discuss with their advisers whether or not the program is right for them.
“(Students) will sit down and see the timing of the courses and really study if they think they can handle a year-round school year,” Gilbert said. “It won’t be something for everyone. Some people will need the extra time and breaks during the summer, but I think there are some students who are motivated enough to complete the program.”
Gilbert also said there are currently 25 degrees offered within the Three-Year Degree program.
“When we first contacted the colleges, we had about half of the number (that we have now),” Gilbert said. “I think there has been a certain momentum build-up in some of the degree programs. I think people have more fully appreciated the benefits and gone back and realized they want to benefit students in their program.”
Anne Marshall, undergraduate adviser for the history department, said her department is included in the program.
“Because of the way the history curriculum is structured, students have quite a bit of choice about when they can take our upper-division classes,” Marshall said.  “I think a major like history lends itself better to three-year time frames than some of the other majors.”
Marshall said she believes the program is a great option for students who are committed to working hard.
“Obviously it’s a lot of commitment to go to school year-round,” Marshall said. “I do think that one of the reasons this might be a good option is that we have seen an increase in our summer classes in the last few years at the university, which indicates that there is a lot of interest in going (to school) year-round.”
The program benefits students who wish to graduate early for financial purposes, students who are hoping to enter the workforce earlier and students who have a desire to move onto graduate school more quickly.
Lauren Haley, junior biological sciences major, said she thinks the program is a great option.
“If I was an incoming freshman whose degree was offered in the Three-Year Degree program, I would definitely take advantage of the opportunity,” Haley said. “I think it’s a great opportunity for students to get their education in a shorter time.”
More about the Three-Year Degree program can be found at threeyeardegree.mssstate.edu.