Three mid majors continue success

Every year when filling out my bracket, I always let one obstacle get in the way when making my selections. I pick with my heart, not my head. But when breaking down this year’s sweet 16 predictions, there are three teams from a particular conference that cannot be ignored who have a strong history of success in the tournament and show promise of making a strong run in the big dance.
These teams aren’t found in the powerhouse Big East or the Big Ten. And as much as we want the SEC to be relevant in college basketball, these teams won’t be found there either.
Instead, these three teams, Butler, Virginia Commonwealth and St. Louis, play in the underrated Atlantic 10 Conference.
Starting in the East region, Butler’s road to the sweet 16 is favorable. The Bulldogs should have no trouble with Bucknell before likely facing Marquette in the next round. Marquette has been less than impressive this season, and Rotnei Clark and Andrew Smith can provide enough offense to give the Bulldogs their third sweet 16 appearance in four years.
Shifting over to the South, VCU has the experience and leadership to go deep in the tournament. The Rams played Cinderella in 2010, making it all the way to the final four only to get knocked out by Butler. Head coach Shaka Smart is one of the best coaches in the game, and a veteran team will help them get past Akron and an inconsistent Michigan squad.
Finally, in the Midwest region, St. Louis will advance to the sweet 16. The Billikens finished as regular season and conference tournament champions, but if there is any point in the tournament where I pick with my heart, I am guilty of riding this bandwagon.
I grew up idolizing basketball coaching legend Rick Majerus, who had a gift of turning around mid-major programs and entering them into national prominence, which was the same case when he took over as Billiken head coach in 2007.
In August of 2012, Majerus announced he would take medical leave of coaching, and in November, he ultimately decided he would not be able to return to the position. A month later, Majerus passed away of heart failure. The team honored its coach by finishing the season 24-3 (two of the losses coming in overtime), and playing with heart will take this team a long way. The Billikens allow only 58 points per game and will have no trouble against New Mexico State but will face a tough test when they likely face Oklahoma State.
When the whirlwind that will take place over the next two weeks calms and the dust settles, I have St. Louis, New Mexico, Georgetown and Miami as the final four remaining, and I have Miami cutting down the nets in Atlanta.
Let the madness begin.