‘Schools’ back in town with Stockholm Syndrome

Wednesday at 9 p.m., Stockholm Syndrome will perform at the International Bistro and State Theatre. A band still in its infancy, Stockholm Syndrome, headed by Widespread Panic bass guitarist Dave Schools, promises a musical experience like you’ve never heard.
    According to Baker/Northrop Media Group, Stockholm Syndrome, named after the psychological phenomenon in which a hostage bonds with his kidnappers, is the brainchild of Dave Schools and acclaimed writer-artist Jerry Joseph of the Jackmorons. Stockholm Syndrome also includes Eric McFadden, a versatile San Francisco-based guitarist whose extensive resume includes work with Keb Mo’, Primus’ Les Claypool and George Clinton’s P-Funk All Stars; Danny Dziuk, a classically trained keyboard player from Berlin who collaborated with Joseph on a German release, and Wally Ingram, a Los Angeles-based drummer who has worked with Jackson Browne, Sheryl Crow and Tracy Chapman, among others, spending the last few years with the brilliant multi-instrumentalist David Lindley.
    After Schools produced the Jackmorons 2002 CD Conscious Contact, he and Joseph found out that they wanted to collaborate with each other again. Joseph left Portland, Ore., and moved to Athens, Ga., where Schools lived. Next, they decided to leave on an acoustic tour of Europe. They then contacted their top three choices for people they would like to work with and McFadden, Dziuk and Ingram came aboard.
    “Ultimately, it boils down to me and Jerry being in charge, but we wanted to provide a really strong framework so that all these great individual talents would have a direction while also allowing their own personalities to come out,” Dave Schools said. “We’ll take [the band] as far as it wants to go. I think that everyone is really enjoying playing together.” With Joseph coming up with the lyrics and Schools producing the music, the band created a series of songs in three days, which include “American Fork,” “Counter Clock World,” the Caribbean-flavored “Sack Full of Hearts,” “One in My Hand” and the stunning narrative “White Dirt.” Other tracks, such as the rocker “Princess Cruise,” “The Shining Path” and a cover of the Climax Blues Band’s “Couldn’t Get It Right” round out the recordings for their current CD Holy Happy Hour, released in June under Terminus Records.
    “Their CD sounds really solid. But you can’t judge a band on their CD, the live performances are where it’s at,” International Bistro and State Theatre promotions manager Dax Turner said. “You’re going to get to see Dave Schools as Dave Schools. This is one of his side projects while Widespread Panic is on hiatus and it gives him the opportunity to do, musically, what he wants to do outside the Widespread Panic structure.”
    Stockholm Syndrome have definitely gotten plenty of respect in the musical scene these days and still plan to do more collaborations in the future. Reviewers across the country hail Stockholm Syndrome as somewhat of a phenomenon.
    “[Stockholm] Syndrome … is a gritty rock band, teeming with talent and an abundance of sounds,” The Charleston City Paper said.
    According to RELIX, “It doesn’t sound anything like Widespread Panic, it only vaguely resembles Joseph’s Jackmorons, and it is hands down as good as anything either of those bands ever produced-if not better.”
    “The funky, soul-slinging soundings of Stockholm Syndrome are infectious. Those who are held hostage by the music soon fall in love with it,” The Nashville Rage said.
    Jacksonville, Fla.-based MoFro, a soul-funk band, will open for Stockholm Syndrome. MoFro and Stockholm Syndrome know each other very well and their comraderie will surely show at the performance Wednesday night.
    “They’re definitely getting around and doing their thing. MoFro has played here before, so they’re not a stranger to Starkville or the Theater,” Turner said. “These guys are all friends with each other and know the same people, so with MoFro opening, I think it’ll be awesome. The crowd’s going to have a great time with it.”
    For more information, contact Dax Turner at 722-0161.