Mississippi band travels state, stops to perform at State Theatre

Tonight, students will have an opportunity to come out and see the Chance Fisher Band perform at the International Bistro and State Theatre. The Chance Fisher Band formed in Tupelo, but now hail from Hattisburg where they have played all over the state, including Hal & Mal’s in Jackson, Dave’s Darkhorse Tavern and The International Bistro and State Theatre in Starkville.
    The Chance Fisher Band, who will be performing around 10 p.m., is comprised of Judson Vance on guitar and vocals, his brother Joel Vance on drums, Sam Adcock on bass and Adam Kelly on keyboard. The band’s sound is very unique and singer Judson Vance says their fans have coined the perfect phrase for their sound.
    “Our fans would call it a space-funk-jam sound,” Chance Fisher Band’s Judson Vance said. “It’s kind of funk, but with a little bluegrass thrown in here and there.”
    As far as what the band plays, it’s more a mixture of many classic rock influences and the sound of the Vance brothers’ other band, Rooster Blues.
    “Our band draws a lot from The Grateful Dead and The Beatles,” Vance said. “My brother and I are in another band called Rooster Blues, so the Chance Fisher Band’s music is not much of a deflection from that-it’s more jam-bandish. We play about half and half covers of bands like Pink Floyd and our original music.”
    “I’ve heard Rooster Blues play before and the Chance Fisher Band is really just Rooster Blues plus two more guys,” International Bistro and State Theater promotions manager Dax Turner said. “They’re really good, and they play lots of Doors; they’re a really versatile band.”
    The Chance Fisher Band also choose to keep playing locally because they want to build a strong fan base here in Mississippi where they started out.
    “We’ve never played outside of Mississippi,” Vance said. “We’ve been playing together for over two years and we’ve been very successful in Mississippi, so we plan on staying here for a while.”
    When it comes to their fans, the Chance Fisher Band knows how to get them off their feet and dancing. Their large fan base expects a great concert and that’s what they get every time.
    “We have a really big following here in Mississippi,” Vance said. “We try to keep our audience dancing all night long. One song goes to the next song so we can make that smooth transition and keep people on their feet. We also do a lot of antics on stage to make the crowd laugh and just have a good time.”
    Fans of the Chance Fisher Band already know what to expect from their shows and they hope anyone who hasn’t seen the Chance Fisher Band play live will come out and enjoy a night of great music with them.
    “If they’ve heard any of Rooster Blues, they’ll enjoy this,” Vance said. “We’re going to have a good time and hope everyone who comes out and sees us perform will, too.”