Lyceum kicks off series with ‘Triple Play’ performance

The Mississippi State University Lyceum Series will start its 2004-2005 season tonight with the first of five performances this season. The Lyceum Series brings an eclectic assortment of performing arts acts that are critically acclaimed around the globe and are an alternative to the typical performing arts scene at MSU.
    “The Lyceum Series has been under way long before I was here and I’ve been here for 15 years; it has a long-standing history at this university,” Maridith Geuder, associate director of University Relations, said. “We try to cover the performing arts and that would be drama, music and, when we can, dance. We try to balance all the acts so we have great variety.”
    The series will kick off tonight at 7:30 p.m. in the Colvard Union Ballroom with a performance by Chris Brubeck’s Triple Play.
    Chris Brubeck’s Triple Play, according to MSU’s Performing Arts Committee, is comprised of three outstanding and versatile musicians: Peter “Madcat” Ruth on harmonica, guitar, jaw harp, percussion and vocals; Joel Brown on folk and classical acoustic guitars and vocals; and Chris Brubeck on electric bass, bass trombone, piano and vocals. Collectively, they bring a rare level of joy, virtuosity and American spirit to the folk, blues, jazz, funk and classical music they perform.
    “Chris Brubeck defies description,” Geuder said. “His dad is the great jazz artist Dave Brubeck, so he plays some jazz, folk music and classical music. It’ll be across the spectrum. He appeals to all ages and all musical tastes. He’s very, very good.”
    “[Chris Brubeck’s Triple Play] is three guys who bring all different genres of music,” Lyceum Series’ Kell Smith said. “You’re going to have jazz, folk music, bluegrass, blues; it’s going to be a great show.”
    The remainder of the Lyceum Series includes a political satire performance on Nov. 16 in The Colvard Union Ballroom by Washington, D.C.-based The Capitol Steps, a group of congressional staffers turned comedians who’ve been performing for 23 years; a theater performance of The Oedipus Cycle by the National Players on Jan. 18 in McComas Hall Theatre; a performance by Sweden’s leading chamber orchestra, Camerata Sweden, on Feb. 22 in the Colvard Union Ballroom; and a performance by the world-famous Freddy Cole Quartet in McComas Hall Theatre on March 8.
    Geuder says many pieces of the puzzle have to fit together for an event like this to take place.
    “The [Performing Arts] Committee is appointed and is made up of staff, faculty and students, and we get together and look over possibilities, and together we come to an agreement about who everyone would like,” Geuder said. “We look at all the materials. We look at the calendar of events for the university, and we try to fit it into those parameters. It’s exciting. There’s a lot of great talent out there. It’s exciting to bring groups of this caliber to Miss. State.”
    “We filtered through all the information and tried to get a broad spectrum of different groups,” Smith said. “We have a couple of jazz groups, political satirists, an orchestra, all kinds of different varieties.”
    The Lyceum Series hopes to offer a different experience for those in Starkville wanting more cultural leisure activities. The Performing Arts Committee plans the Lyceum Series with students in mind and hopes they enjoy a different kind of entertainment.
    “We just hope that everyone comes out. We worked real hard to keep the students in mind … and we just want to pack out every performance we have,” Smith said. “It’s just a great opportunity for students to come out and experience groups that you’re not normally going to be able to get out and see in Starkville. And the price is great: Bring your student ID and get in for free.”
    “We always design this series with an eye towards what might appeal to students,” Geuder said. “We hope this series will have something of interest to students.”
    For more information on the MSU Lyceum Series, call 325-4201 or visit www.msstate.edu/dept/lyceum. For more information on the MSU Lyceum Faculty Chamber Series, another concert series put on by the MSU faculty, call 662-325-3070.
    Tickets for Chris Brubeck’s Triple Play, The Capitol Steps and Camerata Sweden: MSU students free with MSU student ID, adults: $15, children (age 3-12): $11, senior citizens (65 and over by request): $13.
    For National Players, The Oedipus Cycle and The Freddy Cole Quartet: MSU students free with MSU ID, adults: $10, children (age 3-12): $6, senior citizens (65 and over by request): $8.
    For MSU Lyceum Faculty Chamber Series: MSU students free with MSU ID and General admission: $5.