Senior art students prepare for final exhibition

Fans of cultured art will have a field day starting Nov. 8. The Fall 2004 Student Bachelor of Fine Arts Thesis Exhibition, also called Promethean, will begin Monday and have its opening reception Nov. 11. The exhibition will take place in the Department of Art Gallery on the ground floor of McComas Hall from 5:30 to 7:30 Thursday night. According to the MSU Fine Arts Department, six graduating seniors will be exhibiting their thesis work from Nov. 8 through Dec. 4.
    The first of the six seniors is Tina Borntrager from Macon, who investigates the concept of visual rhythms through her photographic imagery of women from a diversity of ages and ethnic backgrounds, which is the result of artist and subject coming together in a duet to create works that make a statement on how we all might share the same emotional spectrum.
    The second student, Daniel Calcote from Brookhaven, is a ceramicist who creates pieces that bring a fresh spin to the traditional concept of the teapot and cup. He also employs hand-built clay forms such as textured molds derived from metallic surfaces to create his vessels. And because of the unique forms, textures and glazes used in finishing his works, the fact that these vessels are actually teapots becomes a hidden afterthought.
    Next is Timmell Graham from Jackson who focuses on dramatic figurative sculptures that seek to express the struggles, pain and victories presented within the context of fables and epic stories from mythology. He feels that it is important for artists to maintain a healthy relationship with their own imaginations in order to spur creativity, and this imaginative vision is the root of his captivating clay figures.
    The fourth student, Chris Greer from Collierville, Tenn., chooses to forego all ties to reality in a series of paintings and drawings inspired by modern color fieldwork from the 20th century. His work aggressively investigates the issue of scale.
    Some pieces are the size of an average paperback book and others are much larger, measuring 3 feet by 4 feet. Greer’s work is the by-product of a ‘coping mechanism he dubs “disciplined repetition.” For Greer, the repetitive actions involved with the production of his compositions provide him with a therapeutic, calming effect.
    Then there’s Mark Isbell from Starkville whose landscape photography seeks to place the viewer within the landscape by the use of illusion. The Noxubee National Wildlife Refuge is the source of Isbell’s imagery and is used as a medium for personal engagement. By using the context of his life experiences as a filter, Isbell’s photography becomes autobiographical in nature and gives viewers a unique perspective on landscape photography.
    The final student is Robin King from Slayden, Miss., who titles her series of black and white photographs “A Portrait of India in America.” She has a keen interest in cultural customs of other countries and is especially interested in the interaction of American rituals with those from around the world. Focusing on Indian communities in America, King will document their experiences and inform her visual audience about the lives of these culturally blended families.
    All six of these students are required by the art department to do exhibitions like “Promethean,” but it’s obvious that each of the students participating in the exhibition take pride in their art and want everyone to experience the range of creativity they have to present.
    “There are lots of color-filled and representational pieces,” Greer said. “I feel good about the show; it’s a really strong, gripping show. I think the audience will appreciate the diversity of topics on display, and I’m very proud of the pieces.”
    For additional information, please contact the department of art at 662-325-2970.