Exhibit showcases Alaskan adventure

The work of seven MSU students is on display at the College of Veterinary Medicine.
    The “Alaska Revisited” exhibition includes photography created from the 10-day enrichment program called “Photography in Alaska.” The photographs showcase images of landscape, mountains, barns and everyday life.
    The exhibit is being held at the Pegasus Gallery of the College of Veterinary Medicine. It includes 15 photographs created using different methods such as hand printed, digital, hand pulled silver gelatin print, digital pinholes and silver gelatin murals. The work will be displayed until Dec. 2.
    Art professor Marita Gootee and Wendy Roussin of the communication department offered the program through the art department. It was also made possible through the company Alaska Wildland Adventures. Alaska Wildland Adventures is a company founded in 1977 with the goal of “sharing the wilderness and Alaska’s wildlife with small groups of people who seek a high quality, true Alaska vacation.”
    Most people don’t realize that Alaska is about two times the size of Texas and is the last frontier. The landscape was unbelievable and to see glaciers and water the color of turquoise was an experience, Gootee said.
    Jessica Weimer, a participant in the program, said the trip was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. “We had a chance to fly over Mount McKinley and stay in cabins overlooking glacier rivers. The wildlife was one of the best aspects of the trip.”
    Students in the program could take up to six hours of credit in photography. Many students were learning new techniques and working in the darkroom for the first time.
    “The students were given 30 rolls of film to use while they were on the trip. Out of those rolls of film, the students were required to select 10 photographs to submit when we returned,” Gootee said. “The students were also required to keep a journal of their experiences while on the trip.”
    Another trip is being prepared for June 2005 and will have 10 spots open for the 12-day trip. A camera workshop will be held before the trip and a printing workshop will follow. All printing materials will be provided. There is no prerequisite for the class so all majors and students are welcome.
    Several of the photographs are for sale. Prices range from $40 to $250. The images are in black and white and color.