“Rocky Horror” reprisal thwarted

Risqué, adjective: very close to indelicacy (being indelicate) or impropriety (inappropriateness). Thank you, dictionary.com, for that lovely definition.
Risqué: an adjective used to describe the cult classic film, “The Rocky Horror Picture Show.” Although the classic movie is very interesting and sometimes a little over the edge, I enjoy it as much as the next person. It’s one of those movies you simply just have to see for yourself.
However, a local theatre in Atlanta, Ga. disagrees — Atlanta’s Plaza Theater shut down a planned reprisal of “Rocky Horror.” Some politicians brainstormed over the drama and decided the performance was too “risqué” (there’s that word again) for the community’s eyes. Even when the theatre crew promised to restrict admission strictly to adults, Atlanta mayor Wayne Garner did not move an inch. Not only is he disputing the production of “Rocky Horror” but forbids any rated-R productions to be shown in the community theatres.
Performers, theatre members and some townspeople have started a group on Facebook to protest the mayor’s decision. But as all of us Facebook-ers know, that (usually) solves very little. But I say keep trying, social media-ers!
I definitely do not think harshly of anything that has to do with Atlanta or Mayor Garner — the point is that people want to see, well, what they want to see. Why not just describe the film as risqué and a little inappropriate, and then let viewers make up their own minds?
My roommate had to convince me to watch this movie for the first time last year. She loves it, and before I watched it, I was not so sure I would even pay attention. You guessed it — I couldn’t take my eyes off of the screen (except maybe to close my eyes for a second or two, I’m not big on kissing scenes).
I still stand by my suggestion: you will have to see the movie yourself to decide how you feel about it.
I completely understand this film and its theatre follow-up are unsuitable for children’s little eyes, but restricting the admission to adults could be a positive thing. It would give parents a night on the town with a good laugh and some crazy costumes.
Sure, the parents could just watch the movie on television or their computers, but what fun is that? A view on the box is no comparison to a view of the stage.
I am sure this theatre is not the first theatre to shut down a production for being inappropriate, and it probably will not be the last. Theatre troops have the right to convey through the stage a message, and audiences have the rights to observe and discover that message.
“The Rocky Horror Picture Show” was made in 1975 and has been a controversy ever since. The theme of the film was that times were changing — people of all sorts were learning to express and discover themselves (like the characters seemed to discover themselves in the movie). It was a powerful message in the ’70s and audiences still identify with it today, sometimes dressing up like characters and acting out scenes when it is broadcast via midnight showings.
Although the show is inappropriate, it has always been a fan favorite. People want to see something crazy, and “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” is just what the audience ordered. Give the people what they want!
Theaters and their troupes have been expressing themselves for years – why should this time be any different?
Becca Horton is a sophomore majoring in communication. She can be contacted at [email protected].