Original films should stay original

I used to watch old movies with my mom (when I say old, I mean movies from the ’70s and ’80s.) We would watch the lovable ones featuring Molly Ringwald and the directorial talents of John Hughes. But our favorite movies to watch were ones with wild dance numbers — such as “Dirty Dancing,” “Cry-Baby,”
“Grease” and “Footloose.”
The last time I went home, I just so happened to be sitting on the couch with my mom when a preview of the “new and improved” “Footloose” came on television. We were both excited and worried about this remake: excited because it was one of our favorites and worried because we did not want this new rendition to change the old one in our minds.
We will probably see the new movie, and, hopefully, we will enjoy seeing it. But I believe there are certain movies that should not be remade. Why remake movies people consider to be classics? (Yes, everyone has a different version of the word “classic,” and I consider this movie to be one.)
I realized what this remake means: if they’re remaking that, what’s to stop filmmakers from remaking other classic favorites? Not a thing. All my other favorites are next to be remade, and the “Dirty Dancing” remake is already scheduled to be released sometime in 2013.
When audiences pay to view movies in theatres, they pay for the new technology in the film industry. People want to see the fantastic special effects, hear the newest music and see provocative romance.
I miss the flaws and innocence older movies possessed. Their flaws and innocence give the originals character the remakes clearly lack. Don’t get me wrong – I enjoy remakes as much as the next guy. I liked “Annie,” “Clash of the Titans,” “The Amityville Horror” and “Friday the 13th,” to name a few. But I wish the original movies still had their uniqueness and incorruptibility intact in my mind.
There are many movies not commonly perceived as remakes — “I Am Legend” (harbinger named “The Last Man on Earth”), “Ocean’s Eleven,” “Disturbia” (harbinger named “Rear Window”) and “Thirteen Ghosts” (harbinger named “13 Ghosts”) — in which the plots have been added on to or changed in order to modernize them. I have surmised the film industry has been feeding off of remakes for years, and will continue for many years to come.
Well, what about Star Wars, you ask? Let’s remember, Star Wars was merely a background story for the originals, not a remake of them. The special effects in the older films were very advanced for their time, and it allows audiences to appreciate how far technology has come.
I am a sucker for special effects. The one thing I can appreciate from a remake is its ability to blow original special effects out of the water. (Thanks, technology!) I am interested to see what creative things special effects teams come up with in each new film. Stunts are also intriguing and extreme.
If there was any reason to see a remake, it would be for the effects.
When I see “Footloose” this year, you can bet I will be comparing it to the classic. I will recognize each change in plot and every new form of technology added to the film. I will judge its characters intensely, and while the dances and acting changes will be impressive, I will be a harsh critic. Kevin Bacon will still have my vote. Remakes are better left … unmade.
Becca Horton is a sophomore majoring in communication. She can be contacted at opinion@reflector.msstate.edu.