‘Grassroots’ plucks best artists from around Miss.

Starkvilles own bluegrass band Nash Street will be showcased as part of the concert.
    Starkville’s own bluegrass band Nash Street will be showcased as part of the concert.

North Mississippi’s best musical and artistic talent will come together under one roof tonight in Lee Hall for the third annual Mississippi’s Best Grassroots Concert.
    The free showcase features the musical styles of Paul Thorn, Eden Brent, Nash Street, Kent Burnside and The New Generation and the Doss Family, as well as a showing of Mississippi’s best artists north of I-20.
    Tupelo native Paul Thorn is both headlining the event and acting as one of the two concert emcees.
    Thorn said he has never played on a college campus before, but is excited about connecting with college students.
    He said he hopes to share some of the things he has learned from his mentors in the music business with students he meets.
    “I’m not here to glorify myself,” Thorn said. “I want to be there for the people.”
    Thorn’s musical inspiration comes from his eclectic roots. He said his music is a mix of country and gospel music he heard at the churches he attended while he was growing up.
    “Even though I’m in a secular setting, I find myself emulating things that I learned from that,” he said. “I’m more like a preacher than a musician.”
    Thorn’s career has taken him far from his Mississippi roots.
    He said people do not realize how much talent there is in north Mississippi.
    “We live in the age of ‘American Idol,” Thorn said. “But really, the people on the underground are generally the best [musicians].”
    The Mississippi’s Best Grassroots board of directors wholeheartedly agree with Thorn.
    The board started the event to celebrate the rich talent and musical tradition of Mississippi.
    “While Mississippi may struggle in tough budget times, Mississippi always has a surplus of talent and the arts,” said Robbie Ward, Mississippi’s Best Grassroots Concert board of directors member.
    The board aims to find the Mississippi musicians that represent the best at what they do, he said. It chooses artists from genres that Mississippi is famous for: jazz, blues, bluegrass, country, rock and gospel.
    Ward said he strongly encourages students to come to the concert.
    “This is the kind of show that you’d normally pay $30 to see in Memphis or Birmingham,” he said. “Instead of going out of town to see this show, you can go to Lee Hall and see it for free.”
    The audiences will see a great show and will not be disappointed, Ward said.
    Mississippi’s Best is made possible by the Mississippi Arts Commission, local business sponsors and Music Makers Productions.
    Samantha Musil, Music Makers’ adviser, said the showcase of various musical styles is well worth going to.
    “This is an opportunity for students to hear different types of music and get in touch with Mississippi heritage,” she said.
    Musil described the event as featuring samplings of music. Attendees can expect a fast-paced show with small tastes of a variety of genres she said.
    “Before you know it, the show’s over and the two hours is gone,” Musil said.
    Student attendance has been scarce the past two years, so students are highly encouraged to attend, she said.
    Mississippi State physical education junior Sarah Coffey was one of the students in attendance at last year’s program.
    “I didn’t really know what to expect last year, but I had a really good time,” she said. “I will definitely be going this year.”
    The art show opens at 6 p.m. and the concert starts at 7 p.m. in Lee Hall auditorium.
    The event is free, but donations supporting north Mississippi artistic talent will be accepted.