Left Field Lounge baseball tradition

With the return of spring comes an excitement that can only mean one thing-baseball season is rapidly approaching, and for Mississippi State University baseball fans, spring is always a time to look forward to with great anticipation. Loyal followers of MSU baseball, rejoicing in the return of legendary coach Ron Polk, have even more incentive to pack up and head out to one of the greatest venues in college sports. Once again, the team is ranked nationally in several preseason polls, and the fans are lining up to ensure that they get tickets.
    Bulldog fanatics are some of the greatest, if not the greatest, baseball enthusiasts in the nation. Year after year, the friendly confines of Dudy Noble Field (at Polk-Dement Stadium) lay witness to a rarity in college baseball-a fiercely loyal group of fans who often exceed capacity seating.
    This is very impressive considering Polk-Dement Stadium is one of the largest NCAA on-campus baseball facilities in the nation. So where do the remaining baseball-crazed Mississippians view the action?
    The answer to that question lies in one of the most talked about phenomena in college sports-the Left Field Lounge.
    The Left Field Lounge, or outfield terrace, is home to numerous trailers, homemade decks, vehicles and barbecue pits. Here, fans can come to lounge around, cook great food and enjoy a quality baseball matchup every game. This unique blend makes for an intimate bond between baseball players and fans.
    “The main thing about the Left Field Lounge is its strong tradition and uniqueness,” Matthew Maniscalco, MSU shortstop, said.
    In the past, home players have been fed by the inhabitants of the Left Field Lounge barbecue pits, while the opposing team usually receives a rather large helping of friendly trash-talk.
    “You can’t imagine what it’s like until you’ve been out there and experienced it,” Maniscalco said. “Left Field Lounge is very intimidating to other teams, but for us it is very inviting. The team even eats in the Left Field Lounge after every game.
    “You won’t find this anywhere else.”
    The Left Field Lounge is considered by many around the SEC and the nation one of the most intimidating fan-factors in college baseball today. Sports Illustrated listed the outfield terrace and Dudy Noble Field as the best place to watch a college baseball game. These factors, coupled with the rich history and promising future of MSU baseball, always make for a slightly better home-field advantage.
    The inhabitants of the Left Field Lounge were allowed to move into their designated spots on Feb. 8 and 9.
    Some 80-plus vehicles were towed in and set up to prepare for the 32-game home schedule of the 2002 season.
    With the return of the trailers comes the return of the baseball fans and their ever-enthusiastic outlook on the season.
    Leslie Hooper, MSU student and long-time supporter of Bulldog baseball, said she greatly looks forward to visiting the lounge and yelling for her favorite sport.
    “I am a baseball freak, and I cannot wait until the return of spring every year. I grew up a huge Bulldog baseball fan, and this time of year was always met with great anticipation,” Hooper said. “Just being with friends in the Left Field Lounge and enjoying a good SEC ballgame has always been a favorite of mine.”
    MSU baseball has long been associated with excellence, and its fans have long been accredited with helping the Bulldogs reach the present standard of achievement.
    Polk and his teams have always been very appreciative of the fan support in the grandstands and behind the outfield wall, and with the continued support of fans like Hooper and other Left Field Loungers, this steeped tradition will no doubt grow stronger and stronger.
    For more information on the upcoming spring 2002 season, visit online at msstate.edu/athletics.