SA senate begins impeachment process of president

Dodds statement after SA senate began impeachment process
Dodd’s statement after SA senate began impeachment process

The Student Association senate at Mississippi State University began an impeachment process for current SA President JoJo Dodd Tuesday night after he released an endorsement letter in support of presidential candidate Roxanne Raven Monday afternoon.

Raven, current vice president of SA, is running against Cole Wood for the 2016-17 presidency. In the letter posted on Twitter Monday, Dodd personally endorsed Raven for president, which is against SA election regulations.

After the SA Senate made this decision Tuesday night, Dodd released a second statement stating he had no choice in the endorsement, not convinced that ‘every candidate is committed’ to the effort toward inclusiveness.

“This is an effort to punish me for speaking my mind, but no fear of punishment will silence my efforts to make MSU a better place,” Dodd said in his second letter.

SA elections commissioner Jamie Aron said impeachment does not mean Dodd will be removed from office. That decision will be made in the next hearing.

“His post was pretty controversial,” Aron said. “It was pretty pointed.”

As for further comment, Dodd said he will stick with what he released in his response letter posted Tuesday.

“The Senate has some different options available in the constitution if they choose to pursue punishment,” Dodd said.

Until the hearing, Dodd said he will continue to act in full capacity as SA President. Dodd also said he has only spoken to Raven about matters concerning day-to-day SA business since his public endorsement.

Senator Hunt Walne said once the motion to impeach Dodd was brought to the table, VP Raven recused herself from the meeting due to the conflict of interest. Walne said the vote for impeachment was 25-0-3, with none opposing and three abstaining.

“I don’t believe there has ever been a president who got the process (of impeachment) as far as a hearing,” Walne said.

VP Roxanne Raven and presidential candidate, said she plans to release a formal statement Wednesday morning.

“As Vice President, my duty is to uphold the constitution and I will continue to do this throughout the remainder of my campaign,” Raven said. “I agree with the senate’s decision to begin the impeachment process. I hope this trial runs as smoothly, ethically and cordially as possible.”

Wood, Raven’s opponent in the election, said he was disappointed a violation took place, but there is a process in place to handle violations.

“Like I said yesterday, this does not affect my campaign,” Wood said. “We are going to remain cordial.”  

The violation citation issued to Dodd Tuesday night calls for a public apology and for him to remove his statements from social media.

Below is a statement from Chief Justice and Elections Commissioner, Jamie Aron:

Members of the Student Association,

In response to the recent public endorsement of a Candidate by our current SA President, JoJo Dodd, the Judicial Council mandates Mr. Dodd comply with our Judicial Order, attached below.

Specifically, by the power vested to the Judicial Council under Article IV, Section 3, we hereby:
1.     1. Require President Dodd recant his statement from social media, deleting all posts and proof of public support,
2.     2. Require President Dodd make a statement recognizing the unconstitutional nature of his actions, and
3.     3. Require President Dodd apologize to the MSU student body.
       Should Mr. Dodd not comply, he will be promptly served papers and his actions will be addressed in a Judicial Council hearing.
       Thank you,
       Jamie Aron
       SA Chief Justice and SA Elections Commissioner
Walne said there’s a possibility Dodd could plead guilty before the next hearing, which is currently set for next Tuesday. According to Aron, if Dodd does not comply with the judicial council’s requests, a judicial hearing will take place this Friday.