MSU soccer upends No. 20 Auburn, ties Alabama

%26%23160%3B

The Mississippi State soccer team has been looking for a key win against an SEC opponent to build confidence and prove the team is a contender in the conference. In the SEC home opening weekend, the Bulldogs found that win.
State started off the weekend tying Alabama 2-2, with all of the goals coming in the first half. MSU struck first when junior forward Jasmine Simmons scored her team-leading third goal of the season less than three minutes into the game. After sophomore forward Elisabeth Sullivan stole a pass from Bama’s back line, her shot was blocked, but Simmons was in great position for the put-back.
The Crimson Tide scored the next two goals within 12 minutes of each other, but Bulldog freshman defender Shannen Jainudeen quickly knocked in her first career goal on an assist from sophomore defender Morganne Grimes.
The rest of the game and two overtimes were scoreless, although both teams had opportunities to break things open. Head coach Neil Macdonald said he was proud of his team for competing hard for 110 minutes.
“Our first half performance was good, especially the first 25 minutes,” Macdonald said. “We had a couple of mental errors on their two goals, but it was a positive step forward against a good Alabama team.”
This solid performance prepared the girls for Sunday’s game against 20th-ranked Auburn. The Tigers were riding a ten-game win streak and were undefeated in SEC play with a 9-1-1 overall record. Boasting an All-American in midfielder Katy Frierson, Auburn was not too worried about the Bulldogs, who stood at 0-2-1 in the SEC.
On the other side of the field, the Bulldogs were winless in nine attempts against Auburn and had not defeated a ranked opponent since 2007. Needless to say, the odds leaned heavily in the Tigers’ direction.
However, MSU came out with energy and confidence and shutout the Tigers 2-0, earning that crucial first SEC win. Macdonald said the game plan to take out Auburn’s highly-touted midfield was executed well.
“I am just delighted with the girls for their incredible commitment and great work rate,” Macdonald said. “We felt like we were capable of doing something like this because we’ve been playing well, and it came together this weekend. Today’s performance from the front all the way to the back was fantastic.”
The Bulldogs needed to have a solid performance all the way around as they were outshot 24-11. Junior goal keeper Skylar Rosson was busy all night but never let down on her game. She came up with eight crucial on goal saves. Rosson said the shutout felt awesome but credited her defense with great play.
“It was great that the whole team came out to play today, and everyone played their role, so that’s what happens,” Rosson said. “The defense is doing awesome; everyone is staying together, and the main thing is that we’re really talking to each other and helping each other through it.”
The young MSU defense, which includes two freshmen and one sophomore, recorded its third shutout of the season. The solid play in the back has been encouraging for everyone on the team. Sullivan said even the forwards notice the defenders work very hard.
“I feel completely safe with them; I love our back line,” Sullivan said. “It’s really comforting knowing they are always going to get it out.”
Sullivan and freshman forward Amy Hoover scored State’s two goals on the day. Hoover knocked in a shot off of a loose ball in the 37th minute, which proved to be the game-winner. State went into half time with a 1-0 lead, but it only took 1:51 after the half for the Bulldogs to add some insurance.
Junior Lauren Morgan kicked a perfectly placed ball over the defense, and Sullivan out-ran Tiger defenders to score her second goal of the season. Sullivan said the goal was cool because she and Morgan had planned to do exactly that.
“She had switched the ball over the defenders, and I ran onto it and just hit it in; we had just talked bout that, so we were really excited,” Sullivan said. “It feels amazing; I’m really excited, the whole team’s excited and the coaches are really happy, so it feels really good.”
The girls are ready to hit the road this weekend to take on Georgia and Tennessee. Just one key SEC win will not be enough to make a statement, but a few more big wins would make MSU a team to be watched in the conference.