TLC’s “Sister Wives” outs polygamist

Authorities in Utah are pondering charging Kody Brown, star of TLC’s latest guilty pleasure “Sister Wives,” with felony bigamy. In an interview with People magazine, he was quoted saying, “I just hope they don’t put me in jail for loving four women.”

The absurdity of that quote is almost too much for me to bear. To me, it’s like he’s saying, “please don’t put me in jail for robbing a bank.”
Polygamy is illegal in the United States, however Brown claims his arrangement is legal because he is married to only one woman and joined by a “spiritual union” to the other three. Brown considers these women his wives and treats them as such.
While the concept of the institution of marriage differs for many people, I think (mostly) everyone can agree it is between two people, not five. Aside from what one may believe, the law clearly states polygamy is illegal.
I’m not sure which is more messed up: Kody Brown having four wives or the four women sharing one husband. Honestly, I hope they find Brown guilty of felony bigamy and punish him accordingly.
It doesn’t matter that he is now the star of another addicting and beloved TLC show — he’s breaking the law. He’s sick and twisted, but when you think about it in a sick and twisted way, he’s got it made. He has four wives. He has four warped women hanging on his every word. When one is mad, he can go to another one. When that one gets on his nerves, he can move on to another.

As for his wives, I will never begin to understand what is going on through their heads. First of all, Kody Brown is not that great. He’s not handsome. He has an average job. Unless his charm, intelligence and wit are so overwhelmingly powerful that women don’t mind sharing him (I’ve seen the show, so that pretty much rules that statement out), I see no real attraction. But regardless, he has four, in my opinion, very disturbed women wrapped around his finger. 

Secondly, even if Brown was the most handsome and amazing specimen of men out there, how could four women  be okay with sharing him as a husband? Being someone’s wife is one of the most, if not the most, intimate positions that woman can have.
I hope to be a wife to someone someday and I plan to love him unconditionally, cherish him and treat him with respect — I can’t possibly imagine having three other women feel the same way about the person I love. In fact, if someone was showing obvious romantic interest in my husband, I’d be furious. The thought of sharing him would never, ever cross my mind. But the women on “Sister Wives” take it too far — they are in love with and having sex with the same man.
This brings me to my final point. Four women who are perfectly fine with taking turns having sex with one man need to seek counseling. This sounds rash, but they are basically making themselves slaves to him. There is a fine line between the belief of submitting to your husband (which I do believe in and plan to do) and becoming a slave to his every whim.
They are sacrificing their rights as free women in America to love and marry whomever they want; instead, they are bound to one man who ultimately has control over all four women in the worst possible way. I’m curious as to how it works: do they just take turns with who gets him in the bedroom each night?
The thought of that, as real as it is, makes my skin crawl. I’ve clearly stated how sick I think these people are, but I think the people who watch and enjoy this show are equally as twisted.
I can barely sit through five minutes of this garbage. Yet TLC has a knack for creating television shows that suck viewers into a world foreign and provocative to them.
Mary Chase Breedlove is a sophomore majoring in communication. She can be contacted at [email protected].