Meet the Keenums

Not many students have a reason to go to the sixth floor of Allen Hall, but anyone who visits the President’s Office can attest to the luxurious atmosphere. Visitors are immediately greeted by several secretaries and a grandfather clock. Although his personal office is rather simply decorated, it is obvious that MSU President Mark Keenum is an MSU man. On his walls are several diplomas and awards from the People’s University, a painting in homage to a bulldog and his cowbell.

Mark Keenum honored as president

Aside not usually seen by President Mark Keenum is the role of dad. Keenum said there are some similarities between being a father and the MSU presidency and – with a laugh – some big differences.
    “Well, being a father is the greatest thing I will ever do with my life. We are blessed to have our children somewhat later in life. They are definitely a grounding force. It is an awesome responsibility,” he said. “Heading a campus of some 18,600 students is also an awesome responsibility. It has always been a great focus in my life to help young people find their way, and in a lot of ways, that’s what this university does. It helps them become happy, healthy, productive citizens.”
    Keenum said his principles are an important part to both parenting and particularly the university presidency. When asked to describe them, he said they are centered on honesty.
    “Being a man of your word, your word is your bond,” he said. “Things like loyalty, respect and commitment are all invaluable.”
    Keenum has had a career some might describe as unusual. He received a doctorate in agricultural economics from MSU, and then served as Chief of Staff for Sen. Thad Cochran for several years. Then, Keenum served in the Bush administration as undersecretary for the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
    “Well I think my career, some might say, is not the norm. It started here at Mississippi State. I worked here for five years. Then, being Sen. Cochran’s chief of staff was a tremendous responsibility,” he said. “One of my proudest moments in Washington, in my whole career, was working with Sen. Cochran in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. It was a very emotional time for all of us, but it was also rewarding.”
    The MSU community continues to wonder what changes will be made by the Keenum administration.
    Keenum said he wants to continue with some of the things the previous administration started.
    “They did a really good job of beautifying the campus, offering a good campus life to students and growing enrollment,” he said. “But, I also want to continue to renovate the campus. I want us to be a top tier university to add weight and value to the degree that is going to hang on the wall. I want what any alum wants, a strong vibrant university.”
    And so Keenum will begin the procession across the Drill Field today at 11 a.m., and immediately afterward begin, for the 19th time in MSU history, the investiture of a President at Mississippi State University.

Rhonda Keenum devoted to university

Rhonda Keenum is as much a Bulldog as her husband.
    Describing the Mississippi Institutions of Higher Learning’s decision to name Mark as president as though she had just found out, Keenum said she felt relief, joy and especially pride when she learned he had been chosen as MSU’s 19th President.
    “Mark and I were together when we found out,” she said, shifting forward in her seat. “I was so excited the board recognized [his] ability to lead this university. We are both products of MSU, and this was our home when we first got married. We left here 12 years ago for D.C., so it took us a little longer to get back than we wanted.”
    Keenum and her husband have four children – triplets who were four and a daughter who was two years old when the decision was made by the IHL Board.
    Keenum said she can see over the past few months the impact the campus has had even on them.
    “They love this university and everything about MSU,” she said. “We live right beside the band hall, so the children know every word to every song and all the movements the band does. They’re basking in everything this campus offers 5-year-olds, and they realize they’re home.”
    In describing her family’s relationship with the university, Keenum said she and the president have a unique perspective on the campus and all the changes it is undergoing.
    “After everyone has gone – the students, staff and faculty – our front yard encompasses Swalm and Lee. This campus is very much our home,” she said. “I don’t ever remember the campus being quite so lovely.”
    She said she hopes the campus will soon feel like home for everyone.
    “Of course I would love to see a few more acres of parking, but the vibrancy is so apparent when you look out and see a dorm being built,” she said. “The plan, where Mark is concerned, is to take this amazing campus and make it an amazing home for everyone.”
    Keenum said her maternal instinct toward the campus extends to the students as well.
    She said she believes the university has a responsibility to the parents of every student at MSU.
    “Every time I see parents, I tell them that we are stewards of their children’s well being,” she said. “First and foremost is [your] security and safety, and then [your] intellectual and social wellbeing are important. That is a very heavy responsibility.”