Career Day brings job options to MSU

Representatives from more than 150 companies will occupy the Humphrey Coliseum Tuesday for Mississippi State’s annual Career Day.
    The event will last from noon to 4 p.m. and students will have the opportunity to meet with employers seeking full-time employees, summer interns, co-op and part-time employees.
    A few of the companies that will be attending this year’s fair include Nissan Technical Center North America, Lockheed Martin, Cingular Wireless, AmSouth Bank, Walgreen’s, ConocoPhillips, Sherwin-Williams and Halliburton.
    Career Day is aimed specifically at current students and alumni, and people in every major are encouraged to participate.
    Students are encouraged to wear business casual, have their resumes at hand and arrive early to the event.
    Career Center events coordinator Jan Fitzgerald said students and alumni should check online and see which companies interest them beforehand.
    “This is the most employers ever at the event,” she said.
    She said companies in past years have commented on how well-organized Career Day is.
    “There’s a reason why they pursue MSU students,” Fitzgerald said.
    “The fair always has good student turnout, and we have constantly had a good experience,” Enterprise Rent-a-Car’s human resource coordinator Margie Roberts said.
    “The event gives you a foot in the door, allows you to make contacts and put a face with your resum‹¨,” Fitzgerald said.
    Many of the companies attending Tuesday’s event will stay in Starkville that night and conduct interviews with qualified students the following days.
    Student response is mixed in it’s enthusiasm for the event.
    “The fair is a great place to look for a job or just see what is available,” junior landscape architecture major Lee Hess said.
    Other students will not attend the event.
    “I know there is a Career Day fair, but I probably won’t attend,” sophomore political science major Bailey Owens said.
    For more information, visit the Office of Career Services website at www.career.msstate.edu. “I never really think about it when I walk to my car alone at night,” Shirley said.
    She said that this is probably not the safest thing to do and that she is probably nonchalant when it comes to avoiding unwanted confrontations on campus.
    “I never really think about that happening to me, and I know that other victims of sexual or physical assault have probably thought the same as I do.”