Fresival dances into Macon Saturday

On Saturday, the small town of Macon, Miss., is going to get a little bit bigger. Main Street in downtown Macon will be the site of the 15th Annual Dancing Rabbit Festival Saturday from 8 a.m. until 8 p.m.”It’s a great time in a small town atmosphere,” Debbie White, executive director of the Noxubee County Economic Development Authority, said.
    The festival will include a variety of attractions like arts and crafts, children’s rides, a talent show and a baby contest, but there is at least one highlight that is bound to make the festival somewhat atypical.
    “We’re having our first bike show,” White said. “It’s fascinating to see these 65-year-old men showing off their Harley Davidsons alongside other guys half their age.”
    Though not quite to the scale of Woodstock, the Dancing Rabbit Festival offers plenty of live entertainment.
    At 4 p.m., the Drifters take the stage. This R&B vocal group is best known for their ’50s hits, “Under the Boardwalk” and “Up On the Roof.”
    Headlining the show is Willie Earl King and the Liberators. This blues ensemble will perform a few tracks from their debut album, Freedom Creek.
    Other performers include DA CAPO Ministries featuring John Yates, a Christian ventriloquist. The festival will also feature a karate exhibition and “lots of good food,” according to White.
    Although the festival is tomorrow, White said that it is not too late to submit an application for the talent show or for an arts and crafts booth.
    To more information about the Dancing Rabbit Festival, contact the Noxubee County Chamber of Commerce at 1-800-487-0165.