Stewart to play in Tupelo

Tupelo may be the birthplace of Elvis Presley, but on Sunday, it is Rod Stewart’s town.Although it has hosted major acts like KISS, Boyz II Men and Elton John, the BancorpSouth Center in Tupelo is often overlooked by touring acts due to its small seating capacity and proximity to larger venues like Memphis, Atlanta and New Orleans.
    However, Stewart and his booking agents seemed eager to rock the house in Tupelo.
    “We reached an agreement with SMG (Stewart’s booking agency),” Paula Melton, marketing director of BancorpSouth said. “The routing is good for him because he also has shows in Little Rock (Ark.) and Huntsville (Ala.).”
    Melton said that Stewart played at the BancorpSouth Center seven years ago and drew an impressive turnout.
    “Sometimes, that’s all it takes,” Melton said. “One good crowd makes a lasting impression.”
    The 56-year-old rock star is touring to support his latest album, “Human.” On Stewart’s Web site, www.rodstewartlive.com, “Human” is described as having “a sultry vibe and a heart full of soul.”
    In addition to his album sales, Stewart is touring to support his charity with 25 cents of every ticket sale going to the charity. However, the proceeds are not linked to the recent terrorist attacks in New York and Washington.
    “This (the charity charge) was set when tickets first went on sale back in August,” Melton said. “The proceeds go to the LIFEbeat charity.”
    LIFEbeat is sponsored by the music industry to fight AIDS, but Stewart is also known to lend a hand to young cancer patients, perhaps as a gesture stemming from his recent treatment for throat cancer.
    For Stewart, his musical career began in his native England in the early 1960s. He spent his early years hitchhiking with blues and R&B acts, lending his vocal and harmonica talents wherever they were needed. In the early 1970s, Stewart’s solo career skyrocketed with his first No. 1 hit, “Maggie May.” Throughout the next three decades, Stewart scored a slew of hits like “Tonight’s The Night,” “Hot Legs” and “D’Ya Think I’m Sexy.”
    All the while, his radio-friendly sound adjusted with the changing times, resulting in over 100 million album sales worldwide.
    Stewart’s show will begin at 8 p.m. Tickets are $49.75 and $39.75 and can be purchased at the BancorpSouth Center box office or Bebop Records.
    Tickets can also be purchased by phone at (662) 841-6582.