Will Portera Stay

Beginning Thursday, Oct. 25, articles in The Clarion-Ledger brought to light speculation that MSU President Malcolm Portera may take the position of chancellor of the University of Alabama System. Now, the facts behind this speculation are beginning to surface.
    Since Thomas Meredith, the UAS chancellor, was accepted to head Georgia’s university system, some have speculated that Portera may be chosen as the new UAS chancellor.
    However, for quite some time, this was only speculation. There was no solid evidence that Portera had been or ever would be offered the position.
    Although Portera was unavailable for comment Thursday, Joe Farris, assistant to the president, made a statement concerning the rumors.
    “The only thing that is certain is that the chancellor of the University of Alabama System has accepted a job to go to the Georgia system,” Farris said. “That’s where the facts end and the speculation begins.”
    Farris also said there are several reasons why rumors that Portera may be leaving for Alabama are spreading.
    “The fact that Dr. Portera spent many years in the Alabama system and is well thought of there has led several people on both sides of the state line to believe that he might be thought of as a possible candidate for that position,” Farris said.
    But Friday, that changed.
    Friday, Oct. 26, an article in The Tuscaloosa News identified Portera as the primary candidate for the position.
    In the article, Alabama State Rep. John Rogers, D-Birmingham, was reported as saying, “Mississippi State University President Malcolm Portera is the top choice of UA trustees to replace Meredith when he leaves Tuscaloosa to take over as chancellor of the University System of Georgia.”
    The Reflector will continue to research the story as it develops. It is unclear at this point how much is speculation and how much is fact.
    One thing is certain; most MSU students do not like the idea of Portera leaving.
    Freshman Katrina Kennebrew said, “From what I’ve experienced on campus, I think he’s done a good job. He is a good leader. If we didn’t have someone as good or better, the quality of the school would decline.”
    Edward Johnson, a senior majoring in fine arts said, “So far, he’s done a good job. He’s done a lot for the campus.”
    Senior Jennifer Cleckler, a Biological Science major, praised Portera’s interaction with the students.
    “I like him, and I think he interacts well with the students,” she said. “Many of the problems we have had as students, he’s tried to help us with.”
    Nothing is certain at this point, and speculation remains speculation. However, many students will be keeping an eye on the news – just in case.