Cohen named head baseball coach

Mississippi State University officially named John Cohen as its fifteenth head baseball coach Saturday [June 7] during an afternoon press conference. Cohen’s introduction was met with raucous applause by the Bulldog faithful gathered at the Bryan Athletic Administration Building.Cohen, who played for Mississippi State from 1988 to 1990, has spent the last five years coaching at the University of Kentucky. His tenure in Lexington includes two bids to the NCAA tournament and the school’s first SEC overall title in 2006. Cohen compiled an overall record of 175-112-1.
    Cohen drew applause multiple times during his speech, the largest of which came when he mentioned taking the Diamond Dawgs to a national championship.
    “Anything but Omaha is a disappointment,” Cohen said. “Omaha is just not good enough either. We’ve been to Omaha. There’s only one thing that hasn’t been done.”
    One particular statement Cohen made contrasted an aspect of his coaching style with that of his predecessor, former head baseball coach Ron Polk. Some media reports even labeled the comment a “veiled shot” at Polk’s Friday outburst where he threatened to have his name removed from the stadium unless incoming MSU athletic director Greg Byrne was fired.
    “I’m not interested in talking about NCAA rules, talking about scholarship dilemmas,” Cohen said. “I’m interested in making this program into a national contender year-in and year-out.”
    Byrne said while contract agreements are still being negotiated, Cohen’s expected compensation package will be very competitive with other coaches in the conference.
    Cohen confirmed media reports he declined a lofty pay raise from the University of Kentucky.
    “[UK athletic director Mitch Barnhart] offered me one of the top two or three contracts in the history of college baseball,” Cohen said. “I just dog-gone near fainted when I saw that. It was shocking.”
    Cohen turned down the raise, saying the offer could not sway his desire to return to his alma mater.
    “You can’t put a price tag on your dreams; this is a dream of mine,” Cohen said.
    “Every musician wants to play Carnegie Hall, and Dudy Noble Field is the Carnegie Hall of college baseball,” Cohen said, quoting his wife.
    Cohen is now at work, putting together his coaching staff. The Hattiesburg American has reported that he plans to add Lane Burroughs, current head coach of Jones County Junior College, to his incoming staff. No official announcements from the university have been made about the potential hire.
    The Reflector will continue to provide updates and reaction on the Cohen hire as information becomes available.