Heisman race will be less thrilling

With the conclusion of college football’s conference championship weekend, the nation’s best athletes turn their attention to Radio City for the Heisman ceremony. In seasons past, the list of candidates is set in early November, barring a complete collapse in performance. But this season, invitations seem sparse, and only three hopefuls are certain.
Texas A&M freshman quarterback Johnny Manziel is the Heisman favorite in numerous polls. In 2006, Tim Tebow surprised the college football community, becoming the first sophomore to win the prestigious award.
Saturday, Manziel can add more credibility to the “Legend of Johnny Football” by being the first freshman to win the Heisman.
Manziel met with media for the first time last week and did his best to somewhat silence his praises.
“I don’t really see myself as the Johnny Football crazy that’s kind of swept Aggie land and swept around the nation a little bit,” Manziel said. “I see myself as Johnny Manziel. I’m a guy from Kerrville, Texas, who is trying to be a laid back guy, who likes to hang out with my friends and be a normal college student just like anybody else.”
Manziel, whose name was first mentioned in the Heisman race after handing Alabama its lone loss, has completed 68 percent of his passes and thrown for 3,419 yards and 19 touchdowns. On the ground, Manziel has 1,181 yards and 24 scores. Total, Manziel set an SEC record with 4,610 yards of offense and 43 touchdowns.
With every Heisman winner, there can be argued a definitive “Heisman moment.” One candidate who lacks a “Heisman moment” is Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te’o.
The senior linebacker looks to become the first defensive player to win the award since cornerback Charles Woodson won in 1997 and the first linebacker to win since 1961.
Woodson and last year’s candidate cornerback Tyrann Mathieu impressed voters with their special teams play. Te’o only has one job on the field, but he does it better than anyone else.
Kansas State’s Collin Klein opened the season as a Heisman favorite, but his numbers have slipped heading down the stretch of the season. Many voters were ready to hand the award to Klein after a win against TCU following an injury, but his stock plummeted a week later after being boat raced by Baylor 52-24.
Klein did rebound against Texas to help Kansas State finish the year 11-1, Big 12 champions and with a BCS bowl berth.
Other candidates include Ohio State quarterback Braxton Miller and USC wide receiver Marqise Lee. Miller and Lee’s stocks are falling, but the two hopefuls may get invites to complete the list of candidates.