Film festival continues

The Magnolia Independent Film Festival continues until Saturday at State Theatre showing a variety of short films from Mississippi to international filmmakers. 
Ron Tibbett made his own film and upon having no way for people to see it, decided to start his own film festival in 1997, making it the oldest in Mississippi.
The festival is known for its Southern hospitality separating it from other film festivals.  Each filmmaker, once selected, is invited to stay in Starkville for free. The filmmakers will stay in Hotel Chester and will visit downtown restaurants.
Head director Glen Bryant wanted to use the State Theatre because of its location.
“It (is) reminiscent of the old movie theater. It has character and plus it has a bar,” Bryant said.
Last year, the festival averaged 170 people per night. 
This year they’re expecting at least 200 to show up.
Previously, the films shown have been from filmmakers from Czech Republic and Germany, as well as from many places around Mississippi such as West Point, Clarksdale and Tupelo. 
When speaking about the festival, head director Glen Bryant said everyone involved in hosting the event are film lovers.
“We want to help advance Mississippi filmmaking,” he said.
Bryant said none of them dabble in their own filmmaking. 
Upon selecting which films make it into the festival, they just go with age-old question: Would we want to watch this film?
They make sure that everyone watching would appreciate the movie itself and that the content is appropriate for the Starkville community.
Bryant and his assistant director, Elaine Peterson, said that all involved are great films but some of their personal favorites include: “Zombie Pickles from Space” and “Illumination”.
Glenn Payne is a 2006 Mississippi State  University graduate and will appear in “Gypsy Heart,” “Illumination” and “The Fall of Henry,” which he also directed.
“As an actor, you always hope you’re giving the director what they need to make any given scene work out as they had planned,” he said. “It’s always fun to work with different sets of casts and crews, and I personally enjoy watching other directors work because it helps me analyze my own choices as a director on my films.”
Payne said he credits his comedic training as preparation for the roles. He is a member of improvised comedy troupe, The West of Shake Rag in Tupelo.
“I was extremely blessed to be cast in as many films as I was last year, and I thank everyone very much for the opportunity. I just hope people at the festivals don’t get sick of looking at me.”
The schedule for each night is available at magfilmfest.com. More information can be found on the festival’s Facebook page and by following its Twitter account @magfilmfest.