Remembering ESPN Legend Stuart Scott

On Jan. 4, many sports fans and colleagues said goodbye to long time ESPN anchor, Stuart Scott. Scott was famous for his all-around talent and devotion to the world of sports and his family. ESPN was greatly affected by his death, as Scott changed the careers of sportscasters across the world forever. He is famous for coining several catchphrases used by ESPN, most notably “Boo-Yah!” and “As cool as the other side of the pillow.” 

In an interview with ESPN, SportsCenter anchor Jay Harris said, “Well, that’s who Stuart is. He is ‘the other side of pillow,’ the man who made sportscasting cool.” Scott is noted for not changing his style when he became an anchor for ESPN. By staying true to himself, he became the first African-American to change the world of sportscasting in a way that appealed to younger audiences as well as older audiences. Spokesmen for ESPN stated they did not realize how much a change in style could increase the rates of those who were watching; Scott was the founder of ESPN’s modern style. 

Scott served as a role model for many cancer patients and their families all over the world with his long fight against cancer. He was diagnosed in 2007, but never stopped working. ESPN personalities said Scott remained “upbeat and defiant no matter how bad it got.” Stuart himself kept his grace when making comments about his condition. A few months before his death, Scott accepted the Jimmy V Award for Perseverance on July 16, 2014 at the ESPYS. Many people were encouraged by his way of looking at the struggles patients face against cancer every day. “When you die, it does not mean that you lose to cancer. You beat cancer by how you live, why you live, and in the manner in which you live,” Scott said as he accepted the award. 

On Jan. 4 Scott passed away at the age of 49. He left behind many colleagues, along with his two daughters about whom he spoke so highly of during his time as a sports anchor.

Scott’s impact on the world of sports was so memorable that Kolber and ESPN colleagues put together a well-deserved list of Top 10 roles Scott played for them. Scott is remembered as a competitor of sports, a friend to many, a memorable celebrity, an influential African American, a hard worker, a poet with words, a devoted father, a charmer to many, a warrior against illness and an all-around champion. Scott will forever be in the memories of many as a role model and will undoubtedly be missed.