Community meeting held on City Hall steps in support of Mayor’s veto

Members of the greater Starkville community held a press conference Saturday morning at the steps of the Oktibbeha Chancery Courthouse aimed at urging the Starkville Board of Aldermen to support the Mayor’s veto of the Board’s decision to repeal an equality resolution and plus-one insurance plan. 
Tuesday, the Board of Aldermen voted 5-2 to both repeal the equality resolution and reword the city’s plus-one insurance policy. Last year, the Board of Aldermen initially approved both actions. 
Thursday, Starkville Mayor Parker Wiseman vetoed the Board’s Tuesday decisions.
Community member Melissa Grimes opened the conference by expressing that despite differing opinions, all members of the community should be treated with respect. 
“We believe both items are critical in moving our city forward, attracting new business and acknowledging the dignity and worth of all citizens,” Grimes said. “It is important to note that although we may have different opinions on various topics, we can all agree that everyone should be treated with dignity and respect and that includes LGBT friends and family members.”
Grimes introduced John and Jean Marzalek, who have lived in Starkville since 1973 and have raised three children in the community. John Marzalek reflected on Mississippi’s past issues and applied them to the future. 
“In the 1960s, Mississippi gained the reputation of being the most racially troublesome state in the union. We sometimes forget that a major thrust of that anti-integration movement was to prevent what was called ‘unnatural marriage,’” John Marzalek said. “…The city of Starkville, our community, must demonstrate its place as a leader, showing the way for others. If not, our community will not stand for progress, which will discourage talented people from coming here and helping us grow… I urge the Board of Aldermen to demonstrate the leadership it demonstrated in its original vote and support our Mayor’s veto of its later, misguided actions.”
After Marzalek, Bert Montgomery, pastor of University Baptist Church in Starkville, spoke postively about the seperation of church and state and said the Baptist denomination supports such a separation. 
“One great thing about our Baptist tradition is the history that we bring to America of separation of church and state,” Montgomery said. “And that arose from Christians, Baptists who did not baptise the way others did, being jailed and prosecuted and denied rights for being different. And so we brought with us to this country the idea that no one group, regardless of religious interpretations even if its in the same Christian tradition, can impose its will on the rest in a free democratic society… No one interpretation can rule over others.”
Following Montgomery, Jarvis Williams, pastor from Macon, Mississippi, expressed thanks to both the fact that such a gathering can exist legally in our society and to the elected officials working to find ‘the better path.’
Williams then referenced the book of Matthew and called for community members and the Board of Aldermen to push forward toward equality, calling its impending decision a step in the direction of justice. 
“Where they come to him and he says, ‘when I was hungry, you didn’t feed me. When I was naked, you did not clothe me. And they respond; When did you find yourself hungry, Lord?’… And he says these word that ring in history ‘what you did to those you considered the least of these, you did so unto me.’ I am hoping that the Christian community, with the leadership of the aldermen, lead this community on forward, so that everyone is respected with dignity. And that if nothing else we will not be guilty, as a Christian community practicing our faith, of violating the dignity of the least of these,” Williams said. “I love the fact that we are standing here on this moment and pushing up that long highway toward justice, and I pray we don’t stop now.”
After Williams spoke Grimes issued some closing remarks. Grimes also urged the aldermen to reconsider their repeal and said he believes this decision serves as an opportunity for Starkville to make historical progess. 
“This is Starkville’s opportunity to have a foot on the right side of history. Our children, grandchildren and great-grand children will observe our actions for years to come,” Grimes said. “The nation is watching our city leaders and our LGBT friends, family members and co-workers hope to live with dignity and respect in the place that we call home. We urge and encourage our city aldermen to do the right thing and do not override the Mayor’s veto.”