‘Suit & Tie’ showcases talent

IDEAL Woman, Men of Excellence and the Student Fashion Association (SFA) presented the annual Suit & Tie Show Tuesday in the Foster Ballroom of the Colvard Student Union.

The Suit & Tie show presents a way for students to get involved on campus and showcase their talent. Every model and organizer of the show was a Mississippi State University student. 

Jamia Brown, junior fashion design and merchandising major and IDEAL woman historian, was one of the hosts for this year’s show. She was also a make-up artist for the models and said it was a great experience. 

“I was really excited to be able to take part in the show,” she said. “Even though I was pretty tired after, it was definitely worth it,” she said. “Each organization works so hard on a day-to-day basis, and it is always nice to have something to show for it. I love being able to come together with others and have a good time.”

Breanna Peters, senior fashion design and merchandising major, was part of the show as well. She said she was worried about working as a make-up artist as well as a model in the show. 

“I was pretty nervous about the show, not just about being one of the models, but also because I was one of the make-up artists,” she said. “Aside from walking in the show, I had to do make-up for some of the models and I also had to get my own make-up done. It was worth it though because the show was amazing.”

Breanna said she also demonstrated to the audience the proper way to apply make-up before going to class. 

Antonio Barnes, sophomore engineering major and SFA modeling coach, said he was excited to work with his peers and be a part of such a successful event.

“Being a modeling coach, is a new position for me, but I’m ready to learn everything that comes with it,” Barnes said. “It’s really fun to be able to get all of the models to loosen up and find that inner confidence needed to own to their own work.”

Barnes said he was pleased with being able to collaborate with such talented people, both individually and as a group.

“I’m glad this event was able to show the public how different organizations are able to come up with ideas such as this one to get their members involved while giving the public something to enjoy,” he said. “Overall, it was a great experience for everyone.”

Other students mentioned in making the show a success was MOX Parliamentarian and host, Charles Reese, and also barber, Tramos Cole. 

Students can follow both make-up artists on Instagram, @b.shaylamakeup & @jamia.tenea.