Volleydawgs prepare for season in exhibition against UAB

Ivy Rose Ball | The Reflector

STARKVILLE, MS – October 02, 2022 – Mississippi State Setter Gabby Coulter (#12) during the match between the Arkansas Razorbacks and the Mississippi State Bulldogs at the Newell-Grissom Building in Starkville.

The Mississippi State volleyball squad got some reps in with an exhibition game against the University of Alabama at Birmingham in preparation for the beginning of the season.
Students piled into the Newell-Grissom building to support their Bulldogs as they battled the UAB Blazers on Friday.
Though the Bulldogs lost the first set by five points, many of the Volleydawgs had stand-out moments. Middle hitter Sanaa Williams stopped the ball from entering MSU territory with an incredible block. Moments later, libero Lauren Myrick saved the ball standing far out of bounds and sent it flying over the net and back into play.
The Bulldogs used the short time before the second set to evaluate what to do next. This valuable time-out sparked something new in the team, leading them to victory for the rest of the game.
The second and third sets were won by MSU, both by more than five points. Notable player and senior outside hitter Karli Schmidt left everything she had on the court.
Every hit by Schmidt had a purpose. Each time she hit or blocked the ball, she sent it rocketing straight to the other team’s side. With this being her senior year, she will be expected to put her heart and soul into each game of this season and lead the team to new victories.
Although sets two and three were light work for MSU, new challenges slowed them down in set four. The UAB Blazers found the strength they lost after the first set and began to strike back. The entire fourth set was neck and neck — a constant back and forth of scoring points.
The volleys became longer and tension rose, ultimately resulting in a loss for MSU and leaving it all to the fifth set to decide who will take home the victory. Of course, the beloved Bulldogs were able to secure the fifth set and clinch a win in this exhibition against UAB, showing fans that they would have more to bring this fall.
The way the Bulldogs played showed how much intensity, passion and strength they are prepared to bring to the court this season. They are nothing short of starving for wins, and their hunger to show fans and opponents what they have to offer will be the defining factor in just how well they will dominate the season.

Kensi Brandenburg
Kensi Brandenburg, Staff Writer
Kensi Brandenburg is a sophomore communication major. Kensi is currently a staff writer for The Reflector.