Bulldogs reign victorious in matchup with the Auburn Tigers

Noah Carpenter | The Reflector

Mississippi State Midfielder/Forward Hannah Johnson (#11) during the match between the Auburn Tigers and the Mississippi State Bulldogs at the MSU Soccer Field in Starkville, MS.

The Mississippi State University women’s soccer team made sure that Bulldog fans could enjoy a victory over at least one of the two Tigers opponents in town this weekend when they defeated the Auburn Tigers 1-0 in their SEC opener.
Head coach James Armstrong has been working hard to make the atmosphere of MSU soccer games enjoyable for all. Just as Armstrong had hoped, fans piled in with smiling faces to cheer on their Bulldogs.
“It is just awesome here. The energy around campus today was unbelievable and for them to bring that energy here, you just have to smile,” Armstrong said. “It just gives you goosebumps. You cannot thank everyone enough.”
The stands of the MSU Soccer Field were taken over by shades of maroon and white as the team geared up to take on the Tigers.
The first half started off slow as neither team could sneak one into the goal. The Bulldogs’ defense kept the Tigers to only two shot attempts in the first half, while MSU continuously put their best foot forward with eight attempts.
As the second half rolled around, both teams continued to go shot for shot with each other, but neither team could grasp the upper hand and remained 0-0. The Bulldogs’ offense was constantly on the attack, but the Tigers’ defense was relentless.
A stalemate ending seemed forthcoming as time continued to pass. However, with two minutes remaining in the match, the Bulldogs appeared to have a change of heart.
As MSU took a midfield throw-in, a fire was lit underneath the feet of junior forward Aitana Martinez-Montoya. The crowd began to perk up as Mississippi State’s momentum built. Martinez-Montoya saw a pass opening and went for it.
Junior midfielder Haley McWhirter secured the through pass from Martinez and headed for the goal with less than two minutes left in the game.
McWhirter’s final shot of the night left fans cheering and ringing cowbells as the Bulldogs secured its first SEC win of the season.
“I think we fought really hard during the whole game, and we deserved a goal,” McWhirter said. “We were just so close, and it came in the last two minutes. That’s when it came in and we took advantage of it.”
Next, Mississippi State will host Texas A&M on Thursday at 6:30 p.m. with hopes of continuing their SEC win streak.

Aubrey Carter
Aubrey Carter, Managing Editor
Aubrey Carter is a junior communication major with a concentration in broadcast & digital journalism from Birmingham, Alabama. She currently serves as the Managing Editor and served as the Sports Editor from 2023 to 2024. [email protected]