Volleydawgs drop Kennesaw State Invitational

Volleyball+Kennesaw
Ivy Rose Ball | The Reflector
Volleyball Kennesaw

The Mississippi State University volleyball team competed in the Kennesaw State Invitational Friday, Saturday and Sunday in Kennesaw, Georgia, which ended in an unfavorable outcome.
The MSU volleyball season is in full swing, and the team has been working hard to keep up a good record. Going into the tournament this weekend, the Bulldogs were 5-1 and were looking to keep it that way.
The Bulldogs started the weekend strong, defeating Western Michigan 3-2. With a total of 60 kills, six aces, nine blocks and 84 digs, the Bulldogs played their first weekend game with a load of intensity.
However, the second game of the weekend against Kennesaw State had a more unfortunate outcome. After the first two sets, the Bulldogs lost their momentum and handed the last three sets over to KSU.
As Sunday rolled around, MSU was not able to rebuild its dominance and fell short of a victory against Wake Forest. This concluded the weekend as a Mississippi State loss.
While the defeats outweighed the wins this weekend for Mississippi State, the team still fought hard and the players gave everything they had on the court. The girls gave it their all and did not back down against their opponents.
Senior Karli Schmidt secured 18 kills against Kennesaw State, and sophomore Sophie Agee came up close with 17 kills. The power and ferociousness that these players brought to the court helped the team to fight to the very end.
Against Wake Forest, MSU racked up 40 kills, seven aces and 39 digs. The scores came up short, but MSU did not go down without a fight. This weekend was tough for the team, but they will return to Starkville 5-3 and eager to play in the Maroon & White Invite at home.
This week, the Bulldogs will prepare to play harder and reject any nerves that the loss may have brought upon them. Gearing up to take home more victories for the rest of the season, these Bulldogs may have given up a win this week, but that is not stopping them from putting in the work for the upcoming games.

Kensi Brandenburg
Kensi Brandenburg, Staff Writer
Kensi Brandenburg is a sophomore communication major. Kensi is currently a staff writer for The Reflector.