Best Actress: Meryl Streep

The queen is back for more. Already the winner of three Oscars, Meryl Streep returns to the nomination list for Best Actress in a Leading Role as Violet Weston in “August: Osage County.” 

Streep delivers as a familial matriarch after a family tragedy, but she does not grant comfort. She “truth tells.” Streep becomes Violet Weston and creates a powerful, emotionally-charged and dynamic character who represents pervasive familial troubles. Embodying the role of a strong, powerful, crazy and controlling woman, Streep portrays the chemically attached and emotionally unstable matriarch in a believable way that draws both hatred and sympathy for the tragic character. 

Streep’s performance is stellar in that she portrays a woman in distress whose life is crumbling around her. Streep’s performance is enhanced- — not overshadowed — by co-stars Julia Roberts, Chris Cooper and Ewan McGregor. The ensemble transports viewers to a scorching Oklahoma summer, but Streep makes the heat worth it. Streep delivers in “August: Osage County.” Of course, she does. She’s Meryl Streep.