Best Picture: Gravity

In the same way movies like “Star Wars” and “Apollo 13” have in the past, “Gravity” opens the door for imaginations to run wild considering the uncharted nature of space. The movie’s expansive visual imagery evokes a desperation in the viewer as well as a longing to understand the unexplored depths of outer space. With special effects that convey the reality, yet intangibility, of space, “Gravity” allows audiences to catch a glimpse into the lives of astronauts, a profession most can only dream about.

Not only is the movie visually inspirational, but the characters also display a beautiful juxtaposition of insecurity and strength vital to the film’s space exploration. Sandra Bullock and George Clooney display contrasting emotional depths through subtle physical manifestations of vulnerability and fear, like when Bullock finds a solitary moment after finding refuge in a spacecraft. The film’s performances and compelling characters, combined with excellent writing and special effects, create a film worthy of an Oscar.