Reality TV paints unrealistic picture

Reality television has taken over the world. People of all ages are being sucked into this fabricated sense of “reality.” Reality television attracts mostly younger adults and teenagers. Turn to any channel and there is sure to be some type of reality television show airing at some point. Most college students enjoy watching some type of reality television show and are even participating in them.

In the past we could turn on the television and just watch our favorite celebrities live their reality, which is far from the average person’s sense of reality, and feel as if we were somehow in on their lives. It made them feel more human to us. Now, even the average Joe can find his or her 15 minutes of fame and sometimes longer through reality television. Everyone wants to try their hand at fame, and while some of us are fine with just being spectators, other college students are looking for a way to the other side of the TV screen.

Reality TV offers a quick jumpstart into fame. Most people who audition for a reality show either audition right after college or leave college to pursue some type of career in entertainment. There are consequences in taking the fast lane to fame. Most reality shows that feature average people are so popular because of the type of drama and entertainment they create. An article in USA Today said directors do not cast an average person who viewers may find boring. They cast mostly stereotypes, especially stereotypes that conflict with one another, in order to create drama and tension.

This means there are a lot of young adults out there willing to do anything or act a certain way to make it on television. The image of young adults today is not a good one. Most people see them as out-of-control kids who drink an excessive amount of alcohol and party all the time. When it comes to reality television, you rarely see the overly stressed, studying-all-the-time, working college student who drinks an excessive amount of coffee to pull all-nighters. That is reality for a lot of us, but in reality television that is boring and uninteresting. 

Nobody wants to see actual reality in reality TV. The viewers want drama, fights, gossip, backstabbing and dangerous stunts. When college kids want to escape the stressful world of school but remain in the comfort of their own homes, watching reality TV is like a little 30 minute to an hour get-away. An article in “College Magazine” said there is no known cause for why college kids are so drawn to reality television because the possible reasons are endless. It is just impossible to avoid. Reality TV now rules the world.

For the college kids who watch reality TV as an outlet from the boring world and for those that use it as a head start into Hollywood stardom, let’s think for a minute. Why do you love reality television so much? What is your reason for tuning in every week? How do you perceive the young adults you see on these shows, and do you want to be perceived that way?

Not every reality television show is a bad one. From “Best Ink” to “King of the Nerds,” some of them do shed a positive light on young people today by showcasing their talents and intelligence. 

As educated students, we should think before we choose to participate in these types of shows. However, there is nothing wrong in indulging, as long as we take care to analyze and diagnose such habits. Escaping reality is where imagination and creativity comes from. Take a study break and turn to any channel. I am sure there will be some type of reality show playing.