MSU student receives Swayze scholarship

Spencer+Pipitone
Lacretia Wimbley
Spencer Pipitone

Mississippi Young Bankers, a division of Mississippi Bankers Association, awarded its top award to Mississippi State University student Spencer Pipitone. 
The $5,000 Swayze scholar award is presented annually to the top Magnolia State University major in banking and finance that best represents the tradition of banking excellence exemplified by Orrin H. Swayze Jr., a senior officer for Trustmark until his retirement in 1967.
Out of the seven Orrin H. Swayze Jr. Scholar annual awards, six have been received by MSU students. 
Spencer Pipitone, senior marketing and finance major, said he was extremely honored to be named the Swayze scholar.
“Many successful bankers throughout the state of Mississippi have been Swayze scholars, so it’s awesome to be included in such a prestigious group of people,” Pipitone said. “In college it’s very easy to procrastinate, as I’m sure everyone knows, so its all about prioritizing your activities. I try to do the best I can when it comes to academics so I can be proud of any result that occurs. I started double majoring in finance as a junior because I thought it would make my educational experience well- rounded paired with a marketing degree.”
This year there were two finalists from MSU, one from the University of Mississippi and two from the University of Southern Mississippi for the award. 
The 2014 MYB conference was held over spring break at the Grand Marriott Resort in Point Clear, Ala. The five finalists completed several face-to-face interviews with the MYB Scholarship Committee and participated in convention sessions over the course of the four-day conference.
Pipitone said his parents and grandparents have always pushed him to work hard both in and out of school.
“They have consistently supported my choices regarding my future while encouraging me along the way. Also, my teachers from elementary, middle and high school were major influences on the way I treat my education,” Pipitone said. “I’m from Brandon, Miss., and I was a student in the public school system my whole life. The teachers were not only interested in our grades, but on our success in our later lives. They were great, and I thank them for all they did.” 
Michael Highfield, finance and economics department head, said he has not personally worked with Pipitone in classes, but knows him through the outstanding reputation Pipitone has among the finance faculty.
“As a department head, I am well aware of who our best and brightest students are, and it was my privilege to nominate Spencer for this outstanding honor. This is a prestigious award, and we are very proud that several of our students have been selected as Swayze Scholars and finalists over the years. People seeking a career in banking and finance have to be intelligent and good with numbers, but they also need to have an outgoing personality,” Highfield said. “Spencer represented Mississippi State University extremely well, and his selection as this year’s Swayze Scholar certainly speaks to his accomplishment as a student with a very promising career ahead.”
Since 1979, the Scholastic Awards named in honor of Swayze have been awarded annually at the MYB Study Conference and Convention. Nominees are submitted by professors from across Mississippi. Based on their applications and letters of recommendation, five finalists are invited to attend the convention at the expense of the MYB.
Pipitone said in 10 years he hopes to be in Mississippi working in the banking industry with a family.
“Many young people are leaving our state to start their lives elsewhere, but I believe the only way to push Mississippi forward is through the initiative and energy of young professionals. As college graduates, we need to step into our role as the future of the state. Saying that, I want to be a leader where I work and also in my community as I get older,” Pipitone said.
For more about MSU’s finance and economics department, visit /business.msstate.edu/programs/fe/.