The Best of 2012

BEST MOVIE – MARY CHASE BREEDLOVE
Les Misérables
As one who deeply appreciates and loves musicals, I was ready to see “Les Miserables” the moment I heard Anne Hathaway’s voice faintly singing “I Dreamed a Dream” during the previews of some movie I saw last year. “Les Mis” – as it is most often referred (perhaps because some of us are afraid we’ll say “Miserables” wrong) – was simply phenomenal. Tom Hooper, whose 2010 film “The King Speech” won Best Picture at the Oscars two years ago, chose a risky and impressive way to film the beloved musical: by having the actors sing live on set. I believe his ambitions were successful.
Before I begin explaining why “Les Miserables” is on my “Best” list, I want all readers who have not yet seen the movie but have seen the Broadway production to keep in mind the movie is different from the musical. Instead of seasoned Broadway singers (for the most part), most of the film consists of A-list actors who we didn’t know could sing. While the film does convey the powerful tone of the musical, “Les Mis” on stage and “Les Mis” the movie are two very different experiences. Having the actors sing live as they acted created a kind of fragility – hearing the actor’s voices break because they are actually crying gives a whole feeling to a movie-musical. “Les Mis” tells a story drenched in human suffering, and I think the fragility of the movie is what makes it so powerful.
Hathaway, to me, certainly earned her place among Best Supporting Actress contenders for her portrayal of Fantine and will give anyone else nominated in that category a run for their money. She’s painfully thin and cut off all of her hair – during the filming process nonetheless – and steals the screen every second she appears. All the hype you’ve heard about her in this role is absolutely true.
Hugh Jackman will also make you cry uncontrollably in his lead role as Jean Valjean. I was impressed with his vocal ability, too. Was he exactly like a stage version of Jean Valjean? Of course not. But he did a fantastic job bringing the character to life and making the audience weep and swoon. I could see he poured his heart and soul into this role, and deserves the Oscar nomination for Best Actor.
Eddie Redmayne played the role of Marius and stole the hearts of many viewers, including myself. His voice and portrayal of Marius was simply beautiful.
Samantha Barks played the role of Éponine, as she did in the London stage production for a year. I don’t think this is the last we will see of Barks on the big screen – she is extremely talented.
Sacha Baron Cohen (yes, Borat) and Helena Bonham Carter play the Thénardiers. Helena Bonham Carter is in her element: she plays the cooky corrupt innkeeper’s wife perfectly. I think of all the cast of “Les Mis,” I was most surprised by Baron Cohen. He was so natural in that character, and his singing wasn’t bad either. He made you laugh and he also made you want to slap him in the face.
The only person I was not terribly impressed with was Russell Crowe as Inspector Javert. In my opinion, he wasn’t bad – he just wasn’t as impressive as his fellow leading roles.
“Les Miserables” is majestic. Getting used to the entire dialogue of the film may take some getting used to from people who aren’t keen on musicals, but go see this movie regardless of your opinion on musicals.

BEST BAND – DANIEL HART
THE PUNCH BROTHERS 
The Punch Brothers claimed 2012 as its own in a few ways; it released its sophomore album Who’s Feeling Young Now? on Feb. 14, an album made with bluegrass instruments that, at times, sound nothing like bluegrass. The album ranges from a cover of Radiohead’s “Kid A,” in which the strings of acoustic instruments transform into the bleeps of electronic music, to a Beyonce-worthy R&B number about the cold heart of a city girl. Founding member Chris Thile, both vocalist and one of the world’s best mandolinists, received one of 23 MacArthur Genius Grants in 2012, which bears $100,000 a year for five years toward any project. The band toured constantly last year, including a dip into the South to play in Florence, Ala. Its prowess left the audience in a full few seconds of silence after its unplugged encore, the kind of hush that comes after hearing something entirely unlike everything else. The Punch Brothers stole that title in 2012.

BEST MOVIE – EMMA CRAWFORD
LINCOLN
Steven Spielberg’s “Lincoln” is a masterpiece. Although I admit, I enjoy history and that may have swayed my opinion that it is the best movie I have seen to date, I believe anyone who has seen it would agree with me. The movie’s focus is the passing of the 13th Amendment to abolish slavery and end the Civil War.  Daniel Day Lewis is completely convincing and captivating as our nation’s 16th president. His lines are delivered in a wispy, yet powerful voice, and he portrays Lincoln’s passion for his country. “Lincoln” manages to spellbindingly recount one of the most important events in our nation’s history.

BEST MOVIE – HANNAH ROGERS
DARK KNIGHT RISES
For as long as I’ve loved Batman, I’ve loved Catwoman. (She’s a strong female anti-hero and a cat. That makes her cool.) But I’ve always hated every characterization of Catwoman on film. So when Anne Hathaway finally captured the essence of the morally ambiguous heroine, it’s no surprise I automatically loved the film and obstinately defended it against critics. Sure, no one really remembers Bane, but Catwoman makes up for that.
Christopher Nolan’s final chapter in The Dark Knight Trilogy creates a Dickensian Gotham which provides a backdrop for Bruce Wayne’s final undertaking as Batman. “The Dark Knight Rises” dares to explore issues such as social class, sacrifice and redemption. The most prominent feature of the film, however, remains the ending. At the end of Bruce’s journey, Nolan allows for the possibility of Batman being a symbol that exists outside of a specific person. Bruce finds a happy ending that frees him from the perpetual life of the superhero. Despite being “dark” and “gritty,” at the end of the trilogy, Nolan provides hope, which may be the bravest moment of the franchise.

BEST SHOW – HANNAH ROGERS
PARKS & REC
“Parks and Recreation” may be the best comedy on television. Perhaps one of the best shows on television. And, sadly, “Parks and Rec” has some serious ratings problems. (But seriously, it comes on NBC Thursday at 7:30 p.m. this spring.) No other show produces as much timeless humor, genuine moments and tears from its viewers. Come on Emmy voters, just recognize the greatness of Amy Poehler.
Although it may seem impossible, the creators of “Parks and Recreation” make politics seem noble again and show humanity at its most generous, humble and charitable. The actors carry both comedic and serious moments without pause. Every episode builds better storylines – showing that even if a television series ages, it still can strive for greatness.

BEST PERSON – ZACK ORSBORN
LENA DUNHAM
Finally, someone who says what everyone was thinking. Lena Dunham, creator of the HBO dramedy “Girls,” has cracked me up and made me weep into a bowl of Fruit Loops. Dunham’s extremely dry, smart sense of humor has graced 2012 with a collection of complex personalities in a television show that deserves every single Emmy, in my opinion. Much like her first film she wrote and directed “Tiny Furniture,” “Girls” explores the trials of having absolutely no idea what to do with your life. We’ve all been there. Not only has Dunham created a highly successful show, she signed a $3.5 million deal for a book with less than 100 pages. Obviously, her words are a big deal, and I plan to read it religiously. I kind of want to be her.

BEST NETWORK – ALEX MONIE
AMC
AMC had an amazing year in 2012. With the fifth season of “Mad Men,” the sixth season of “Breaking Bad” and the third season of “The Walking Dead,” AMC managed to continue to raise the bar of what cable shows should be. If you are not watching one of these shows, you are missing out on some of the best shows television has to offer. “Mad Men” continued to show Don Draper and his advertising firm hurdle through the late 1970s. “Breaking Bad” continued the evolution of family man and former high school chemistry teacher Walter White into an international drug king. “The Walking Dead” continued a year after the initial zombie apocalypse with Rick Grimes and his group dealing not only with living monsters, but also other humans who also survived. All three of these shows are radically different, yet each exemplifies what all television shows should strive for: fantastic story, relatable characters and fresh ideas.