Disability Awareness Month: a walk in another’s shoes

October is a month that is hard to ignore. It is a time of change, honor and awareness, a month of celebration. Many events are overshadowed by the excitement of Halloween and our preoccupation with fall, which leads to a decline in the awareness of certain topics that are important to our culture.
   Many people are unaware October is also Domestic Violence and Disability Awareness Month. Many people overlook disability awareness because they are either unaware of it or feel education in regards to disabilities does not apply to them. Disabled in Action, a civil rights organization, estimates that roughly 18 percent of the American population experienced some level of disability. The number of individuals with disabilities is expected to grow within the next few years. Disability is also highly prevalent among the elderly. Roughly 72 percent of the population develops some kind of disability by the time they hit 80-years-old.
   Given the DIA’s statistics, it is unlikely disability does not pertain to everyone in some way. Almost everyone has a relative, friend or acquaintance with some kind of disability ,whether he or she is aware of it or not. Avoidance is one of the leading causes of people being misinformed or undereducated in regard to disability. Another cause of avoidance is fear of offense. Many people have never been around individuals with disabilities before. Therefore, they might miss out on networking with wonderful people who have contributed a lot to society by overthinking social strategies.
    One basic thought to start off the month might be something as simple as, “How do I treat a person with a disability?” Use everyday social common sense, just as you would with anyone else. For most people, it is unwise to think of ways to be overly helpful. If you accompany someone with a disability and he or she needs assistance, he or she will tell you. But, most of the time, you’ll be amazed to find that those with disabilities have no need to ask. Some places of employment now require employees to take online courses in disability etiquette, which is really social common sense when interacting with consumers with disabilities.
     If you have the privilege to befriend someone with a disability, you might have already seen the many ways in which he or she has adapted to everyday life. If you haven’t, disability awareness month is a perfect time to learn about a new world of technology. People with disabilities are some of the lead consumers of technological resources, such as computers people with paralysis can control with eye movements, motor wheelchairs can be controlled by blowing through air tubes, magnification devices for the visually impaired, auditory devices, communication devices for people with speech impediments and more.
    Look at disability from a statistical point of view. It is evident that it is a big part of our lives — in jobs, interactions and networking. The fact is, disability plays a huge role in our society. But how does being disabled feel? How can the public learn about it?
    Many online resources are readily available on such topics, but at Mississippi State University, there are several active organizations to be on the lookout for this month. If you’re interested, look for organizations around campus that offer events and education for Disability Awareness Month. Go to panels if you hear about them. Offer to help with research in departments that do something in the field, even technology. As for how being disabled feels, you can always see for yourself. If an organization lends you a wheelchair, try to challenge yourself to find accessible doorways to enter buildings and give yourself a time limit to be somewhere. Or, for less effort, blindfold yourself and try to walk around your dorm or apartment. Try to pour your coffee or fold laundry. What effects did you find this had on your day?