Starkville provides new intiatives for runners

A few days ago, a friend and I rode around campus as we discussed our trip to Lubbock, Texas.  This was no ordinary adventure, however. We went with the purpose of running a half and full marathon.  As we were going about campus discussing race-related subjects, we happened to stumble upon a group of people running with numbered bibs on their clothing.  It truly was ironic as we discussed our respective races we would find one in progress. Upon seeing this, I had the realization that now, more than ever, the sport of running is as popular as ever.  With the completion of the Chadwick Lake running track, Starkville’s easy running accessibility and lots of races to choose from runners have much about which to be excited.
   The new track around Chadwick Lake presents a number of perks for runners.  Being well lit, flat and close to the Sanderson Center, the track is a safe starting point for people interested in starting to run. Participants of the Sanderson Center’s free Couch to 5k/10k program have already broken ground on the new pavement.  Julianne Jackson, one of the program’s lead instructors said, “The program is a fun way to introduce people to running, and I am blessed to be a part of it. I have enjoyed it as much as our participants have and hope the program continues to grow.”  
    Along with the 5k/10k runners, the portions of the completed track have served other runners as well, providing a scenic getaway for those interested in exercising near the lake’s natural beauty.
    One of the best things about running is the ability to put on your running shoes and take your workout anywhere.  As a runner, one of perks about living in Starkville is how easy it is to go from one side of town to another.  On a given run, I can start at my apartment, cut through campus and end up past Mugshots in the Greensboro Street District.  This past year alone, Starkville in Motion helped add new sidewalks around Starkville High School as well as in areas close to Miss. Highway 182. With organizations such as Starkville in Motion, which aims to improve the quality of sidewalks and make town more accessible for fitness, the safety of running through these areas only continues to improve.  
    Any given week around Mississippi State University, it seems as if there is some kind of race going on.  Whether it is a normal 5k, glow run or zombie survival race, there are a plethora of choices. For those runners interested in traveling out of town, there are many new races in the surrounding area.  
   Within a year, new marathon and half marathon running events have begun in Meridian, Tuscaloosa and Madison.  Along with inaugural races, those interested in running in established events can participate in the Mississippi Blues Marathon or do a race in the Rock n’ Roll series in metropolitan areas such as Nashville and Chicago.  The amount of races a person can choose from in the local Starkville area and beyond are evidence of how popular running has become.
    In an interview with The Washington Post, Fauja Singh, the 102- year-old man who holds the record for being the oldest man to complete a marathon in 2011 said, “You are never too old to chase a dream.”  
   With new running programs, sidewalk accessibility and numerous races to choose from, it is evident running has become more popular in the local Starkville area and beyond.  Remember, you can always go as far as your own two feet will take you.