MSU honors ACT, SAT scholars

Saturday is the annual Scholars Recognition Day, sponsored by the Office of Enrollment Services, at Mississippi State. This event, also sponsored by the MSU Alumni Association, will recognize high school seniors with at least a 28 on the ACT or a 1240 on the SAT.
    Prospective students who scored high enough and had those scores sent to MSU received official invitations from Interim President Charles Lee.
    Currently 725 students have registered to attend, but students are not required to register, so an even larger turnout is expected.
    Associate director for enrollment services Bryan Nesbit said he is very optimistic about this year’s event and the opportunity for so many academically advanced seniors to experience Mississippi State.
    “This weekend will be the largest attendance in the history of the event. It’s especially exciting to have a record-breaking crowd this year since we’ve had a record year for freshman academics. I can’t wait to see what’s ahead,” Nesbit said.
    A whole day full of Mississippi State activities is planned for these students and their parents to encourage them to pick MSU.
    “The main purpose of this event is to recognize top scholars and to share with them the opportunities that await them at Mississippi State,” Nesbit said.
    These include campus tours and opportunities to visit areas of special interest as well as a general assembly to discuss opportunities such as the University Honors Program, the Office of Research, the Schillig Leadership Scholars Society and the Presidential Endowed Scholars Program for these academically advanced students.
    They will also learn about general topics such as financial aid and scholarships, student life, campus housing and residence life and other services available at MSU.
    Later in the afternoon students will be treated to ice cream at the Gathering Park and a tailgate party at Davis Wade Stadium/Scott Field before going to the football game against Jacksonville State University.
    The Alumni Association strongly supports this event in hopes to bring the best and the brightest to MSU. Current students also see it as a good recruiting idea.
    “I think it is a good way to get people to come to school here,” freshman Ray “Chip” Cabigao said.
    “I think it’s a good idea but maybe there should be more criteria to attend. Just because they have a 28 on the ACT doesn’t mean that they will do well in school,” freshman Ashley Wedgworth said.