Student Counseling Services hosts wellness workshops

Brianna Laverty | The Reflector

Kären Robinson, staff counselor at MSU, discusses with students the importance of nurturing every aspect of one’s health at Well Mind, Well Body: a Wellness Workshop.

The Student Counseling Services (SCS) organized one of its themed Wellness U workshops in Dorman Hall to help students with their concentration, mindfulness and overall well-being on Feb. 5. “Well Mind, Well Body” was the theme for the workshop, and helped students hone in on specific types of wellness, such as holistic wellness, wellness balance and dimensional wellness.
Kären Robinson, the speaker for this event and staff counselor at the SCS, said “Well Mind, Well Body” was the last workshop being held until the week after spring break. These workshops are normally held in Dorman or at the SCS, located in 115C Hathorn Hall. All of these events cover a multitude of topics, from helping students with sleep hygiene to Tai Chi led by a martial artist.
Previously, these events were available exclusively to students who participated in single or group therapy with the SCS. However, Wellness U opened up to all students at MSU this semester. With no prerequisites currently required, any student can attend these events free of charge. At no cost, students can take a break from their studies and learn from a speaker for an hour.
After spring break, the Wellness U workshops will begin again for six consecutive weeks with the locations and topics to be announced.
These workshops are put on to benefit students and help them reach their full potential.
“We know that students who are well succeed academically,” Robinson said.